Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Microlight / Ultralight up to 600 kg MTOW

Is it possible to permanently base a non-D UL in Germany?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Is it possible to permanently base a non-D UL in Germany?

If you’re not german resident, yes. But if you live in Germany or your main residence is Germany, then LuftVZO (Luftverkehrszulassungsordnung) § 99 ‘Kennzeichen und Versicherungsnachweis ausländischer Luftfahrzeuge’ is pretty clear:

[..]

(2) Ausländische motorgetriebene Luftsportgeräte, die von einem deutschen oder von einem ausländischen Staatsangehörigen mit ständigem Wohnsitz in der Bundesrepublik Deutschland betrieben werden, bedürfen der Muster- und Verkehrszulassung.

Foreign motor powered air sport machines (ultralights), which are operated by a german or foreign national with permanent residency in Germany are required to be approved and registered in Germany.

EDL*, Germany

Steve6443 wrote:

I wouldn’t call the Virus SW 100 a mediocre performing aircraft…. With it’s electrically controlled constant speed prop, the Virus is an excellent performer…130Knots TAS with more than sufficient payload to have full tanks, two up plus baggage….

Yes, but I’m not talking about the Virus SW in particular. I know that is an excellent aircraft. I am talking about the concept of moving 450 kg of aircraft with 100 hp vs moving 600 kg of aircraft with 100 hp – in general. 450/100 gives you lots of “surplus power” compared with a C-172, 600/100 does not. Adding only 20 hp will make a huge difference.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Hello all,

Just found this post and would like to be clarified about the title.

This is section of the forum is for non-certified.

Title is “Microlight up to 600 kg MTOW” but it seems to me that whats it’s meant to say is “non EASA Microlight up to 600 kg MTOW”.

Im I right?

Thanks

ULMs are not EASA cetified here. MTOW now 500kg 525.5kg with parachute, and @Peter is right about there being a max stall speed, IIRC there is also a max engine size 100ch, I think.
Day, VFR only.
DGAC don’t get involved much either. An initial doctor’s note is sufficient. An initial airworthiness check suffices. Owner can do all the maintenance. No annuals. New engine costs less than €20,000 although you can get a hand me down from a certified aircraft (Rotax or Jabiru mainly) for a lot less on Ebay.
Hundreds of small no landing fee airfields in France. Spain and Italy also have many small, friendly ULM fields, which if not free are certainly very cheap. All up they work out at somewhere between €50 and €70 an hour to operate.
The more expensive 3 axis versions like the MCR01, CTL and W9 Dynamic would give most certified aircraft a run for their money in terms of performance.

France

gallois wrote:

IIRC there is also a max engine size 100ch, I think.
Day, VFR only.

It’s all country dependent. Poland allows some ULs to fly Night VFR, depending on their equipment. Germany will also accept ULs with (e.g.) Rotax 915 engines → 140ch….

Last Edited by Steve6443 at 07 Nov 09:32
EDL*, Germany

Indeed very country dependent in terms of aircraft characteristics and operational restrictions. Just an example out of many: Germany does not allow ULM’s to have an autopilot.

@rjafonso, in which country are you located? Knowing that would help to get some specific info here..

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

@aart, Hello aart. Im located in Portugal. I joined this forum to read and know whats happening in other countries that have non EASA ULMs. Thanks

gallois wrote:

ULMs are not EASA cetified here.

ULMs are nowhere EASA certified. They are Annex I aircraft and not regulated by the EU.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Non Certified is a general heading for the forum section.

There are broadly speaking two categories of aircraft:

• ICAO certificate of airworthiness (can generally fly worldwide, noncommercial, subject to pilot papers matching the State of Registry)
  • All the others (have various flying/basing limitations e.g. homebuilt privileges ultralight privileges)

Of course there are many sub-categories (see e.g. “Threads possibly related to this one” below) but this section was setup some years ago following requests to do so.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message