Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changing horses..

@aart felicitaciones gran aeronave! I suspect a little bit more aerodynamic than your avatar :)

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Thanks all.

It has a separate GPS from the built-in one: a Garmin 20A.

Hydraulic C/S prop.

To forestall any other questions, here’s the complete description, from the web site ;)

Engine/airframe:

ROTAX 912 S3 (100HP) engine, carb. heat., slipper clutch, water, oil therm.
In flight adjustable propeller MTV-34-1-A/175-200 hydraulic constant speed
Locking canopy, locking fuel tank caps
Adjustable fresh air ventilation system
Cockpit upholstery, two map pockets and arm rest box
Hydraulic differential disk brakes installed on both sides on rudder pedals
Rudder pedals stearable nose wheel
Electric elevator trim
Electric flap control system
Four point seat belts Am Safe
Luggage compartment behind the seats
Tinted canopy
Canopy protection cover
Auxiliery fuel pump
Adjustable rudder pedals
Parking brake
Beringer light weight wheels 5,00-5
Cabin heat with demisting system
Electric aileron trim
Wheel fairings
Rescue system BRS
Noise insulation of firewall
Special leather upholstary – including sleev strips
Leather upholstered glare shield
Landing light mounted in the wing
Wing strobes and navigation lights
Wing lockers
Tail skid

Instruments/equipment:

L 3 ESI-500 + DCM + Inst. Kit + L-3 MAG 500 + inst. Kit
Garmin GNC 255A NAV/COM + VOR antena
Garmin G3X GDU 460 Dual + GSU 25 ADAHRS + GMU 22 + GEA 24 + GTP 59
Garmin GTX 345R, GPS 20A WAAS/GPS Pos.+ GA 35A
Garmin G3X Install Kit
Garmin GSA 28 servos
Garmin GMC 307 autopilot control panel
Garmin GAP 26 AOA probe heated
Back up battery for G3X, IBBS-12V-3AH
Intercom PM 3000 stereo
Tosten CS6 on both sticks + rele deck
Led strip on the glare shield + dimmer
BOSE Lemo conectors
ELT KANAD 407

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Nice looks lovely, right on time for St Valentine !

The efficiency numbers are hard to beat, slightly above the PS100
But in Bristell one can fly without headsets

Last Edited by Ibra at 15 Feb 13:29
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Maybe already discussed, but can you summarize the differences between the CS23 and the non- certified Bristells?

Regarding the airframe, the main differences are that the CS23 version has a beefed-up L/G (it’s a school plane), a stronger wing spar, a stronger engine mount. Also the skin of the aircraft is one grade thicker. All in all, the empty weight increases from about 340 kg for the UL kg to 456 kg for the CS23. So the UL has a payload of 260 kg vs 294 kg for the CS23.

Engine: same Rotax 912 carburetted, although ‘certified’ (we all know that’s just paperwork). Actually you have more choices for the UL: 912 iS, 915 Turbo. And for the kit version of the UL you can install whatever you want I guess. I believe that in Australia and the UK several kits fly around with a Jabiru engine. As said, the CS23 will become available with the Rotax 915 Turbo, and maybe even with a Conti 180 HP in future?

Prop: Same for both. But the UL offers you a choice of other props.

Equipment: Leaving aside the IFR certification, one can have a very similar avionics package in the UL to the CS23. But for the UL there is more flexibility. You can choose what you want, glass or steam, Garmin or Dynon, and a range of other brands for (stand-by) instruments. A detail: the CS23 has a flush instrument panel, which looks quite nice. But you may even get that for the UL, they are quite flexible..

There is a price difference of course. Think 200k vs 250k for similarly equipped aircraft, incl VAT. But the UL can be economized (kit, less avionics).

172driver wrote:

@Antonio, could it be that you’re mixing up liters and US gallons ;-)) ?

Yes, that was exactly my point

When you do cruise mpg it is not that bad, maybe 210 is half as much as Bristell

Last Edited by Antonio at 15 Feb 15:44
Antonio
LESB, Spain

aart wrote:

Regarding the airframe, the main differences are that the CS23 version has a beefed-up L/G (it’s a school plane), a stronger wing spar, a stronger engine mount. Also the skin of the aircraft is one grade thicker. All in all, the empty weight increases from about 340 kg for the UL kg to 456 kg for the CS23

I am surprised by the % weight difference! In absolute terms it seem reasonable, though.

What about in terns of use? I guess you are no longer “limited” to 1000ft AGL in Spain and…what other practicalities make your life different?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

aart wrote:

we all know that’s just paperwork

Nice aircraft indeed. I’m not sure exactly if it’s “just paperwork”. All the certified versions I have seen (not that many but still) have one “standard” generator + one external alternator. The non certified have a double set of “standard” generator (two sets of windings) and no external alternator. I’m sure you can add an external alternator if you want also on the non certified version, but I have not seen anyone do that. I have no idea if an external alternator is a requirement for certification, or if it’s just a choice by the aircraft manufacturer. Which is better, a double generator or one generator + one external alternator? beats me, but it sure is an added complexity and weight with an external alternator.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

What about in terns of use? I guess you are no longer “limited” to 1000ft AGL in Spain and…what other practicalities make your life different?

As things stand right now, UL in Spain cannot fly higher than 1000 ft AGL and cannot fly in CAS, and therefore AENA airports are not accessible. This may change, but one should not hold one’s breath. Not that I plan to visit a lot of AENA airports

Continued airworthiness is a little more complicated, but Part ML is fine with me.

Last Edited by aart at 15 Feb 16:59

Again, well done aarrt, and congrats. Looks snazzy.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Very nice plane! Congrats!

EBMO, EBKT
Sign in to add your message