Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Changing horses..

Yes, ALT 1 is integrated into the engine as in all Rotaxes, and ALT 2 is external.

It has a WAAS GPS, a graphical/aural AOA indicator on the PFD, and the A/P has VNAV, a LVL button and CWS. So, yes, @snoopy, I’d rather fly this aircraft IFR than some old C172. And I understand there is no requirement any longer to have two radio’s for IFR (this aircraft has one). So I’m not sure how much is needed to do an upgrade. A DME probably. I would hope we are finally leaving behind ADF.. Maybe @mh can shed some light on this.

Yes, full integration between GPS/autopilot/nav/com and the G3X. In contrast to the G1000, it is touch screen (although one could use knobs exclusively) and there are lots of ways one can choose to display the position of the data, including the data on the upper bars. And set the left and right screen display as identical, which is handy for instruction and examination I suppose.

In terms of performance, what I have seen so far at 2000 ft is 100 KIAS/ 65%/ 17 FF and 105 KIAS/ 75%/ 18 FF (lt//hr). Haven’t been higher yet than 6500 ft, see above pic. The ferry pilot saw similar speeds at FL100.

With 120 liters on board one can do quite some flying without having to refuel. I like the redundancy that the FF meter/totalizer adds. It all corresponds nicely with the fuel quantity indicators in the tanks.

I’m a bit of a fanatic when it comes to silence in cars and aircraft. This aircraft is excellent, turbine-smooth like. That little Rotax with the scimitar MT prop is a good combination. What probably helps is the fact that the engine sits out quite far from the cabin, and that there is a parachute between the cabin and the (sound proofed) firewall.

All in all I would describe her as a ‘mini SR20’. Slightly underpowered, however quieter. I suppose the upcoming version with the Rotax 915 turbo would make her a ‘mini SR22’.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

aart wrote:

It has a WAAS GPS,

Is that the built-in GPS? It is not IFR-approved, is it? I looked at the G3X “for certificated aircraft” in connection to an avionics upgrade and according to the STC you would need a separate IFR-approved navigator. The G3X GPS was VFR only.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

AFAIK you need a TSO navigator for IFR approval. Same in the US.

WAAS/EGNOS itself is no issue. You can buy a GPS module for 10 quid (e.g. U-BLOX) which does WAAS/EGNOS etc and which is every bit as accurate as a GNS/GTN/IFD GPS. I’ve got two of them right here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

aart wrote:

The empty weight (456 kg) is quite bit more than the UL version

What is the MTOW?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

What is the MTOW?

750 kg

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Beautiful aircraft Aart! Congratulations. A friend of mine has a Ferrari red tail dragger from them and the build quality and pain job really impressed me. Excellent choice.

LSGG, LFEY, Switzerland

Nice! So that is now full CS 23 I guess?
G3X touch is great
Maybe already discussed, but can you summarize the differences between the CS23 and the non- certified Bristells?

BTW, our 210 uses same fuel 17-18 per hour on average as you use in cruise.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

17lph in a 210? :-)

T28
Switzerland

Antonio wrote:

@Antonio, could it be that you’re mixing up liters and US gallons ;-)) ?

172driver wrote:

could it be that you’re mixing up liters and US gallons ;-)) ?

or you (deliberately) mixing up Cessna with Aquila ?

mh wrote:

750 kg

Not bad then, 300 kg payload. Constant speed prop?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message