Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Norderney (EDWG), Borkum (EDWR), and an extra night thrown in for good measure...

Nice! It‘s more a matter of season though. Beginning of August, all these islands are hooving. That is when almost all regions of Germany have „Sommerferien“.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Thanks for the info!

Flew from EBMO to EDWY, about a 2h flight each way.
In the morning we flew direct, in the evening we followed the coastline back to Belgium.
English on the radio was not a problem, the lady at the tower was very friendly.

No bikes left at the airport so we took the bus (6 Euro / 10min) to the city. After lunch, we rented a bike in the city (8 Euro) and drove around the island.
Very nice island, but for sure more touristic/crowded compared to the other islands I visited before (Ameland, Wangerooge, Borkum).
Perfect daytrip!

EBMO, EBKT

Frans wrote:

Fully agree with bosco. Juist has even another special “thing”: They don’t have cars on the island (except firefighters, doctor and police), but instead, do everything with horse-drawn carriages. Even the garbage disposal and “bus” from town to the airfield.

Not exclusively special.

Baltrum is the same in that regard, although the distances on Juist make it a bit more attractive to opt for a “taxi” ride instead of just walking.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany
Switzerland

Can you rent bikes at the airport at Juist?

EBMO, EBKT

boscomantico wrote:

My personal favourite is Juist, my least favourite is Borkum.
Fully agree with bosco. Juist has even another special “thing”: They don’t have cars on the island (except firefighters, doctor and police), but instead, do everything with horse-drawn carriages. Even the garbage disposal and “bus” from town to the airfield.
Switzerland

I have never had a problem with English at Norderney. The only problem is that for non-Germans it is mainly cash only

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Well, to be honest, despite of what some people may say, these islands are all very similar; maybe with the exception of Baltrum, which is by far the most quiet one. My personal favourite is Juist, my least favourite is Borkum.

It mostly depends on if you want beaches or a town in walking distance. Juist has beaches in walking distance only. Norderney has nothing of the two in immediate walking distance (but they have bikes, which is a lot of fun on Norderney). At Langeoog and Wangerooge, you have both in walking distance.

Mind the different operational restrictions of the airfields.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Aug 08:25

By the way, is Norderney the best Island to visit for a day trip? Or would you recommend another one?
I have been to Texel, Ameland & Borkum.

EBMO, EBKT

Funnily, I have been at Norderney again just yesterday. Had I known before, I would have informally asked the Flugleiter on duty.

There was at least one PH-reg Cessna there. But you should call and ask beforehand.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 11 Aug 06:28
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message