Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Oberpfaffenhofen EDMO

You must be living in Augsburg to get there faster than to EDMO ;-))

I usually use EDMA and find it often faster depending on where you are going to in Munich. No notice needed at all to arrive from the UK. EDMO are very helpful but can’t change the rules and even for 2t plus it is a little bit of an admin hassle.

Last Edited by JasonC at 12 Apr 18:01
EGTK Oxford

Alexis,

>>You think it’s discriminatory because Germans don’t have to pay for it?

Yep. And apparently it’s not only me. Austria either already has or will file a claim against this with European courts. Possibly others will join.

>>My opinion: Either all European highways are for free, or we all pay.

Some notes to that.

First of all, either all pay or nobody, full agreement. If it had been that road pricing was introduced in Germany and everyone pais, like here or everywhere else, then you’d hear no complaint from me. But not the way it is done.

Secondly, it is not only the motorways but also “Bundesstrassen”. I can, if I want, cross most countries here still for free if I keep off the motorways. But including the Bundesstrassen means, Germany is totally closed down to anyone not wishing to pay. Even the direct road from Zürich to Schaffhausen, which has 10 km of Bundesstrasse in Germany or if you don’t get a slot in Friedrichshafen. That is massively different from the Austrian Pickerl or the Swiss Vignette.

And finally, it is every state’s privilege to introduce road pricing, but then do it for everyone. Or face the consequences. Businesses in the border region of Germany are horrified btw. They might loose quite a lot of business.

Jan,

>>And yes, Switzerland and Austria have made me feel so very much unwelcome that I drive through as fast as I can and spend as little money there as I can, on the way to my beloved Italy

Sorry to hear that. Has to be said however that worse has been averted. Our transport minister had the idea to rise the price up to 100 Franks. Got voted down by the public however. But the difference to the German maut is, it is the same for everyone. Also, the price for one year is much less than in Austria and there are no surcharges for tunnels e.t.c, so it was also decided not to sell day tickets like the Austrians do. And btw, last time I crossed Italy and used their motorways, I spent more money than for the whole year in Switzerland. Same in France. But in both places, you have the choice to drive outside the motorways. Not in Germany.

>>days of old I would always eat in a good restaurant there but that has become ridiculously expensive now.
next time you pass near Zürich, well, I might give you a couple of ideas. Or call on me and I’ll show you in person :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Not convincing, sorry. Why should I pay in Switzerland and you drive for free in Germany? That’s the point.

next time you pass near Zürich, well, I might give you a couple of ideas. Or call on me and I’ll show you in person :)

Well, I’m not Alexis, but an affordable restaurant in or around Zürich is something I too must see to believe! Next time I will have a longer stay there (usually we do very quick turnarounds just to drop off passengers or pick them up) I will definitely write you a mail!

Regards
Max

EDDS - Stuttgart

Secondly, it is not only the motorways but also “Bundesstrassen”. I can, if I want, cross most countries here still for free if I keep off the motorways. But including the Bundesstrassen means, Germany is totally closed down to anyone not wishing to pay.

While nothing has been enacted yet and the protagonist is a right wing populist party from Bavaria, the current working paper exempt all foreign registered cars from paying for Bundestrassen (federal roads). Only German registered cars have to.

Businesses in the border region of Germany are horrified btw. They might loose quite a lot of business.

Again, the current working papers have provisions to exclude autobahns in the border regions for exactly that reason.

Also, the price for one year is much less than in Austria and there are no surcharges for tunnels e.t.c, so it was also decided not to sell day tickets like the Austrians do.

Germany is expected to have those daily/weekly passes, too. So if you ever get forced to drive to Munich (God forbid), you can do it quickly and get away with a day pass.

Not convincing, sorry. Why should I pay in Switzerland and you drive for free in Germany? That’s the point.

No. The point is: I pay in Switzerland, as much as you will have to pay. Every Frenchman pais the same as a foreigner. Every Italian pais the same as every foreigner. The Pickerl costs the same for everyone, likewise the tunnels or passes in Austria. And there are a lot of alternative roads.

But if I want to drive in Germany, I have to pay and you can drive for free (or rather get your payment re-imbursed). That is the difference. As I said, if it’s for everyone, then I have no problem with it.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

But if I want to drive in Germany, I have to pay and you can drive for free (or rather get your payment re-imbursed). That is the difference. As I said, if it’s for everyone, then I have no problem with it.

That’s an often heard argument but it is completely besides the point. For the last 60 years, Germany has funded its autobahns through the car tax, paid for by all holders of German registered cars. Now they’re switching to a user funded model. So instead of charging holders of German registered cars, users of the autobahns get charged. Same amount for everybody.

I consider it to be very unfair that you can use the Swiss highways every day for 40 CHF and I have to pay 40 CHF to use them once a year for 10 minutes…

Just realized that the German Bundestag already passed the law bill on March 27 which means it’s now pending approval from the Bundesrat (“senate”). There will be a 10 day ticket for 5/10/15€ (depending on the car) and 16/22/30€ for 2 months. Electric cars and plug-in hybrids will be free of charge.

Last Edited by achimha at 12 Apr 18:33

There is more to that than meets the eye: the plans for such a tax have been prepared round here, and there seems a concensus that the existing road tax would be reduced or even abolished alltogether. For my 3,5 tons van that is some 148 € per annum. So yes all would have to pay but for the locals the net effect would be limited.
It may however take some time for such a scheme to be implemented here: our ongoing federalisation process tends to meddle up everything.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Most of my last 30 yrs in the US I rarely used the car for drives more than 2 hrs away. Ive used the plane as a transportation tool. The way it should be. However since the towel heads have attacked the last 14 yrs have made visiting Wash DC a royal pain in the ass. So I try to avoid going there. The point is if there was better GA infra structure here in Europe there would be less use of the autobahn or the like. Have you noticed that the traffic has gotten a lot worse on these highways in the last 30 yrs?

Regarding expense. I see many cars which cost as much if not more than my plane. So its not so much about money (in my opinion) as about the stupidity of all the rules and regs one has to put up with. Can you imagine every licensed driver having to go through what an aircraft owner and pilot has to go through. You wouldnt have to worry about crowded highways or even tolls.

By the way before highway fees how were the highways paid for? Dont these individual country road taxes go against the whole idea of European Unity and a hindrance to European Commerce?

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message