Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Phrase to get a specific approach?

I would have asked: “Request RNAV 36 via TRA” …

That’s an overhead of 106% of the distance (source: autorouter), so I am glad to avoid it. There are other similar approaches where you get a straight in and you have to descend pretty quickly (if I remember correctly LSZH – LSZG is one you also get a shortened approach which makes the descent very steep). If you know and expect it, it’s not a big deal – you can get a bit slower before the beginning of the descent and make it without a problem. My lack of experience and knowledge of the routes given by ATC makes it more challenging though.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

Talking with a FI later he told me that I was supposed to fly to TD003 then continue at FL060 to DONET and make the full approach (DONET – TD001 – TD002 – TD003 – VIBEV).

Why on Earth? It is perfectly acceptable to be vectored or get a direct to a fix which is part of the approach prior to the FAF.

ICAO doc 8168 says:

Pilots must fly the full approach from the IAF unless specifically cleared otherwise. Randomly joining an approach at an
intermediate fix does not ensure terrain clearance.

There are however some restrictions in terms of what vectors ATC can issue for a GNSS approach, and conversely what you should accept, but I do no remember the specifics. It may be that you cannot be vectored inside the IF – in your case TD003. I tried but could not find a reference.

What some presumably knowledgeable people have told me, and I think I read this on EuroGA too, is that it might be a good practice not to load the “vectors-to-final” transition into your flight plan, but rather another convenient transition that follows the route that you are likely to be vectored along. In that case you will get the benefit of additional waypoints in your FPL that you may suddenly be getting DCT for. In your case, if you were coming from the south, you could have loaded the TRA transition (if coded). Maybe that is what the FI meant to say?

LFPT, LFPN

I always load the whole approach. This way I can simply pick one of the points from the list and make a DCT!

I think that if he was only cleared for the approach, then he has to fly the complete procedure. But he simply could have asked for an approach via TRA or any other point.

Aviathor wrote:

In your case, if you were coming from the south, you could have loaded the TRA transition (if coded). Maybe that is what the FI meant to say?

I had the approach loaded and it had all points. I had DONET – TD001 – TD002 – TD003 – VIBEV, so I did a direct to TD003, I didn’t have to enter the point manually.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Flyer59 wrote:

But he simply could have asked for an approach via TRA or any other point.

The approach over TRA is about 30 nm longer and would go TRA – DONET – TD001 – TD002 – TD003 – VIBEV, so even longer than just flying to DONET. Would you really fly it if you were already cleared to the IF?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Oh, I thought it’s only 7 miles from TRA to the IF … sorry. No, I wouldn’t do a 30 NM detour. But whatever, you were not cleared to the IF but for the approach, and I think that means the FULL approach.

I was first cleared to TD003 and then the approach… which causes the confusion actually.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

If you are cleared to a point that’s part of the approach then (in my understanding) you could have approached directly. And 1500 in 10 miles is really no spectacular descent, ist it?

My friend works at Munich ATC, and this is what he recommends, I just asked him:

Initial call with Approach: "

G-YORC, FL70, inbound UPALA, info G, with a request", and after he has identified you you proceed: “Request RNAV GPS APPROACH RWY 25”.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 03 Nov 17:35
Sign in to add your message