Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piaggio introduces the new Avanti P180 EVO.

The later Avanti II with ProLine PL21, is less upgradeable. Not sure you can even do it. There’s you’re stuck with Collins $130K bill to upgrade to ADSB.

It seems that the Avidyne Atlas (https://www.avidyne.com/product/avidyne-atlas-2/) mentioned in the other threads here on EuroGA is an option to upgrade the Proline 21:

Avidyne GPS Legacy Avionics Support (GLAS) provides a direct interface to legacy Collins Proline 21 and Honeywell Primus EFIS systems for vertical guidance during approach operations.

And it seems this includes ADSB:

Unlike traditional text-only FMS displays, the Avidyne Atlas provides a large, full-color moving map display with pilot-selectable overlays of NAVAIDS, Intersections, Airways, plus ADS-B or on-board weather and traffic.

Last Edited by TobiBS at 10 Feb 07:12
P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

You might be right. The Avanti had ProLine II system, which has a small FMS. That unit was removed in the aircraft I flew and replaced partially with a Garmin control panel that controlled the TXi’s (as I recall – we set altitudes and baros on it). The other half was now used as a iPhone storage

My understanding was that this

is the first layout of the Piaggio and that has a MCDU to feed in flightplan and stuff. Or is there also a difference between Avanti and Avanti II avionics? Was there an even older version before that only had VOR navigation?

@Peter: It seems that there is also an EASA STC at least for the GTN750

Last Edited by TobiBS at 09 Feb 10:25
P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Airborne_Again wrote:

What does that mean? Altimeter calibration data?

Basically, yes.

I don’t think there was much of MCDU in these first generation ones, so in many ways they’re easier to upgrade. It just had a very basic ProLine CRT displays and the rest was pretty much analog. The later Avanti II with ProLine PL21, is less upgradeable. Not sure you can even do it. There’s you’re stuck with Collins $130K bill to upgrade to ADSB.

I think that over the years a lot of people, given the copious funding available in that market, paid someone to produce a custom STC for some Garmin box. A lot of G600 installs were done that way. From what I’ve read in the US they are done without any Garmin help or indeed any involvement at all (probably a DER job). As an example, one pilot who used to be here years ago, Achim, bought an early TBM850 on which the old stuff was replaced (by the previous owner) with two G600s.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And are the IAS, VS and ALT bugs between the analog instruments and the G3X coupled as well?

What happened to the original MCDU, was it removed in lieu of the GTNs?

I am just curious to understand what happens behind the panel as I thought a lot of those higher end installations might not be upgradeable. In the end it seems a lot is possible and with the latest products from Garmin and additions to the existing hardware capabilities it might be even more.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

AdamFrisch wrote:

specific altitude curves

What does that mean? Altimeter calibration data?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Yes, it still has original autopilot. As of now, to be able to fly in RSVM space, you need specific altitude curves from the manufacturer programmed into the Garmin to be able to legally have it run the autopilot in RSVM space. These have not yet been published by Piaggio, so for now the certified analog altimeter is what’s driving the a/p. Both the TXi’s are synced together, but not with the analog altimeter.

Honestly, it was almost no extra workload anyway, if it had been my plane I wouldn’t even have bothered chasing the upgrade. But he wants those instruments out and as much glass as possible.

Silvaire wrote:

I once heard a funny noise in Latina, Italy and ran outside to see one of those, operated by the Italian Air Force, inbound to the base at good speed and under 1000 feet (typical Italian VFR). From that my comment is that the sound of one resembles the sound of the other!

They call it the flying table saw!

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 08 Feb 01:02

Hi Adam,

awesome report and a nice plane, had the chance to sit in one on the ground, but never left the ground. :-(

I am wondering if you know if the original autopilot is installed (seems so, as the glare has its controls) with the G3X upgrade and how this is coupled. The reason I am asking is, that it seems the right G3X is not synchronized with the bugs and I am curious if you can feed it from both sides with a switch or at least synch them.

Have fun flying,
Tobias

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

AdamFrisch wrote:

What’s wrong with your TBM?

All is fine. We just passed 1000h and the plane performed perfectly. A few small problems, but all fixed promptly. It just gets a little tight when I take kids, grandparents and my Lab. Piaggio is 3x cabin volume.

Last Edited by loco at 06 Feb 18:50
LPFR, Poland
54 Posts
Sign in to add your message