Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Piper Malibu PA46 N757NY down in Goose Bay

Collaboration between two GA pilots sitting next to each other in the cockpit in a non-airline or non-commercial setting is no easy job. I remember creating as team captain simple SOPs and call outs for a team of pilots and navigators in air rallies like Coupe Breitling for my team members to adhere to. Even a simple call out on short final by the navigator and acknowledgement by the pilot flying with just a few check list items was hard to handle for most GA pilots in this manner as they were not used to doing it this way. When doing the training sessions, it went fine, but under stress during the race, most team members resorted to something they were used to and thus aborted the SOPs and call outs.

EDLE, Netherlands

I’ve come back to this one after a particularly extensive afternoon of old-thread-surfing.

What strikes me, re-reading it all, is how little the accident report really says about the stuff that matters. A UK AAIB report would have looked heavily at the question of who was PIC and all the stuff surrounding that about who was actually flying, who was in which seat, etc. All accident reports say they are not for legal use, not for apportioning blame etc, but this one almost looks as though it’s been created specifically to be able to avoid placing any blame.

I don’t buy the line about things being left out because they’re uncorroborated. The uncorroborated (even contradictory) statements of crew, passengers and witnesses are included in accident reports all the time….. but maybe not Canadian ones?

There was a flight plan filed, and under commander’s name it either said Simpson or Rutherford…..

EGLM & EGTN

Just a tiny details, can have two PPL both the two are acting as PIC in PA28 N-reg, two pilots flying, two pilots manipulating controls, two pilots monitoring and both logging the flight…however, only one will be “safety PIC” who is responsible of aircraft safety in the whole flight (not sure if it’s even the PIC on FPL) and only one pilot manipulating controls at any given time

FAR is different from FCL/ANO where in PA28, one is PIC the other is PAX (or PUT with instructors)

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Jan 19:38
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message