Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portoroz LJPZ (Piran) Meet-up 5-7 Sep 2015

A few more pics…

Brac was not deserted when we departed for Athens

Hazy flight but some great views

Departure from LDSB was non radio so we picked up IFR from Split, though it took a long time due to Dubrovnik traffic.

We stayed here once – the “2 hour” transit from Dubrovnik actually took all day to get there…

The old city of Dubrovnik

This is probably Albania

The hotshoe GPS on my Pentax K3 stopped working… another piece of junk that will be going back for a refund. Later we climbed to FL130, due to buildups ahead

This area is wild – they have wolves and bears down there

Skiathos

Athens is a huge built-up area

Not sure which airport this is

Heading for the ILS

The old LGAT airport – closed for 10-15 years and wasted

Final at LGAV… a really busy approach, with the TCAS showing several targets on the ILS also, loads of headings and descents, etc. Easy with an autopilot…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

This is probably Albania

I believe this is Skadar lake – border between Monte Negro and Albania.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I believe this is Skadar lake – border between Monte Negro and Albania.

My initial thought was Bay of Kotor in Montenegro – around Tivat/Porte Montenegro. If the picture was taken around 7:55 UTC… And comparing the photo to the map, it is a good fit.

LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

My initial thought was Bay of Kotor in Montenegro – around Tivat/Porte Montenegro. If the picture was taken around 7:55 UTC… And comparing the photo to the map, it is a good fit.

That was my initial thought as well but then I felt like villages were too small. But you’re right – it is Bay of Kotor.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Definitely Bay of Kotor, the two islets with the church and abbey on them are clearly visible.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Milos LGML tomorrow. EOBT 0700 UTC to hit their morning opening slot

I can probably find my way down there if I can find a way to taxi out of LGAV

They like to give you about five (not kidding) taxi instructions in one sentence.

Athens has been really great (despite an “interesting AirB&B experience” caused by going way too downmarket) and we got some great pics. I will post some when I get sorted out…

It was brilliant to meet Petakas again, after 2 years

BTW does anyone have any current tips for Bastia/Corsica? I plan to fly back via there on the way back home, probably with an overnight stop… Athens – Bastia – Shoreham. Justine will be getting an airline from Athens

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter, if you need anything on Milos, my friend has a hotel in Pollonia :-)

No tie downs at LGML…. I landed on 08 three months ago with 25 knots xwind from the left, i think it’s almost always windy on Milos.

ATC: what i really didn’t like was that they gave me a lot of instructions in the take-off roll in Milos .. i ignored him until i was airborne

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 10 Sep 20:38

We flew from Portoroz to Brac yesterday.
Brilliant visibility, although the Bora wind made it a bit uncomfortable now and then.
The G1000 showed winds up to 35kts at 2000ft :-(

Some pics:

I think this is the bridge to Mali Losinj?

Heart shaped island

Islands everywhere

On base for RWY04 Brac LDSB. As a guy from the lowlands I was a bit nervous but all went well ;-)

Was there any turbulence on short final @LDSB? I have had pretty rough approaches there in the past.

lenthamen wrote:

think this is the bridge to Mali Losinj?

Yes, that’s the bridge connecting islands of Cres and Losinj.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message