Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Portoroz LJPZ (Piran) Meet-up 5-7 Sep 2015

Not only Althens Milos: I had it during my departure and I was departing to Megara, to meet there people. It was also only a few minutes. On my landing, the gns was back.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

I get the GPS failure every time I fly over Cairo, right overhead the main airport actually. Probably a protection against GPS controlled missiles.

You don’t think there’s GPS navigators in cars in Athens ….????

Flyer59 wrote:

You don’t think there’s GPS navigators in cars in Athens ….????

Jamming works best when the jammer is in direct line of sight with the target which is typically the case for an airplane. I really hate it because 5 devices produce an alarm at the same time, it’s unpleasant. The Aspen glass also goes into a failure mode (but continues to work, only the erection mechanism is suspended). Of all my devices, the Garmin 695 on the yoke without external antenna is the most resilient. The super-expensive certified Garmin GNS430W goes out first, the cheapo smartphone comes much later.

I still wonder if all those car navigators and stuff would work if it was jamming ….?
OTOH i had the same effect over Croatia during the war there … three times when i passed the croatian border my XL95 GPS (my first GPS!) failed, always at the same spot near Rijeka.

Flyer59 wrote:

I still wonder if all those car navigators and stuff would work if it was jamming ….?

Cars nowadays do Glonass as well – otherwise they’d face hefty import duties into Russia…

LSZK, Switzerland

Flyer59 wrote:

OTOH i had the same effect over Croatia during the war there …

IMO that was not jamming, but the US turning the satellites off overhead the bosnian no-fly zone

LSZK, Switzerland

Yes, probably. But it worked again further south, which was strange

When I get around to it I will find out where these huge price variations come from.

but the US turning the satellites off overhead the bosnian no-fly zone

Is that possible? Is the spot beam narrow enough? For example the Athens signal loss was about a 30nm radius, and the GPS satellite orbital radius is of the order of 5000nm. That’s an awfully narrow angle. You would need far more satellites to cover the earth – unless each had hundreds of spot beams like e.g. the Thuraya satellites have.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I wrote to LGAV to ask for a clarification of the pricing.

If one can land there for 83 euros that would transform the “Greece entry/exit” options.

I am planning the 17th for Skiathos – Corfu – Bastia and the wx looks probably OK to fly home on the 18th or 19th. Anybody around Bastia on the 17th?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message