Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop strike (merged)

That’s probably a $ 150.000 repair, if not more.

In Europe: More. In my previous company a Cessna 404 had a nosewheel collapse during takeoff roll. Two props, two engine overhauls, some reskinning around the nose and the gear damage were well over 200.000 Euros (but the GTSIO engines are more expensive). Much more than this Aerostar is worth. The owner should scrap it and the pilot (if that’s not the same person) should never get closer than 100m to the controls of an aircraft again. People rarely have so much luck twice in their life…

EDDS - Stuttgart

It was € 80.000

The Hartzell composite prop is € 30.000 plus taking the whole plane apart, shock loading inspection etc etc …. The engine was damaged and replaced with a new one because the airplane was still pretty new.

But: That’s what I was told, so i have no way of knowing if it was all true …

The owner should scrap it and the pilot (if that’s not the same person) should never get closer than 100m to the controls of an aircraft again. People rarely have so much luck twice in their life…

I now agree again ;-) The runway was 4500 feet long and there was a flat meadow behind. Absolutely no reason to go around…

Absolutely no reason to go around…

None whatsoever. This here is the usual outcome of a go-around after a propeller has been striking the runway:
https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/5422f356ed915d137100045f/dft_avsafety_pdf_028129.pdf

EDDS - Stuttgart

Interview with the pilot of the Aerostar.

Double facepalm…

http://www.wpbf.com/news/exclusive-plane-skids-takes-off-without-landing-gear/32514186

Andreas IOM

I believe it is… strictly speaking per an e.g. Lyco SB.

Not mine though, and I doubt anyone put their hand up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I believe it is… strictly speaking per an e.g. Lyco SB.

I seriously doubt that hitting a bird during taxi would , a) result in blade damage requiring the prop to be removed , or b) the engine decelerated or stopped.

If neither of those criteria were met then nothing is required.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Yes; one US engine shop told me that if there is no damage to the prop then nothing needs to be done.

I wonder how often that is the case i.e. no damage at all?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I believe Lycoming has a bulletin on what constitutes a “prop strike”.

I was told (sorry, no reference) that anytime the engine, even if idling, is stopped by a force applied to the propeller, a shock load inspection is required. Even if the prop has no damage. It could well be an OWT.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
Sign in to add your message