Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prop strike (merged)

I think we have a classic case of CYA more than anything else.

Yeah, but… would you buy a plane which has been landed gear up, without being looked at? I don’t think you would and I am sure nobody else would either if they knew.

That’s why so much damage history doesn’t end up on the forums – because potential buyers read them too. The Socata forum has a section accessible only to owners (not just all owners but those individually vetted by the guy who runs it) for this sort of thing (mainly preservation of resale value but also loss of pride, etc).

I would buy a plane thus damaged and fully repaired if it was discounted by an engine overhaul. A full OH not just a shock load check because most engines which get opened up need extra work, possibly a complete re-hone so you spend a load of £££ on extra avgas bedding in the cylinders, so this is an opportunity to get a known-good engine paid for by the seller who saved himself the money

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Yeah, but… would you buy a plane which has been landed gear up, without being looked at? I don’t think you would and I am sure nobody else would either if they knew.

Guess what ? I just did !

I’m going to fly it without a second thought, but since I will sell it , I will have the tear-down inspection done.

Last Edited by Michael at 01 Oct 11:13
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

What plane type was it, and how many hours did it fly between the prop strike (presumably they fitted a new prop) and you buying it?

Administrator

Wooopsie daisy. Someone had a bad day at Le Touquet. There are not Q-tip propellers.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 26 Mar 17:13
LFPT, LFPN

What kind of flying technique would produce this, on a twin? Or was it a nose gear collapse?

Administrator

Very interesting thread, thanks!

Last Edited by Snoopy at 26 Mar 18:31
always learning
LO__, Austria

Surely it is impossible to strike in a twin like that without the gear being up.

EGTK Oxford

This could be due to landing in a steep sideslip with the oleos compressing – in a twin crosswind technique should be crab, with only a very gentle side slip in the flare, to stop the roll as you kick out the crab.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

We saw this aircraft parked at le Touquet yesterday. When we arrived (also in a light twin) there was a full cross wind of 17G25, so I have little doubt they would have been using a cross-wind technique, if indeed they arrived on Saturday.

Last Edited by Mark_B at 26 Mar 22:35
EGCJ, United Kingdom

It’s possible to strike the Props on a Seneca with the gear down, if its a heavy landing. The Prop ground clearance is not very much and those engines are very heavy. I know of 2 instances of this happening in a Seneca.

EGLK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message