Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Robin 253 IFR avionics update

Peter wrote:

Welcome to EuroGA wigglyamp
Let me point out that wigglyamp is Gama (formerly Lees Avionics).

Thanks Peter. Actually I’m not even Gama now, although I contract for them on particular projects.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

Robin_253 wrote:

Is there any chance that this STC would be extended to cover Robin 200 series?

Very possible – probably an EASA administrative change rather than a costly up-issue. Best to address off-line by PM if you’re interested.

Avionics geek.

Welcome to EuroGA wigglyamp

Let me point out that wigglyamp is Gama (formerly Lees Avionics).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jesse wrote:

Why do you need two units?

Well, if understand correctly equipment requirements for an IFR flight, I need two COM and two NAV boxes. Practically non of my existing avionics can be reused so i’m fishing for a simple and economic solution to make the airplane IFR capable. If double GNS configuration is a no go, than I would rather fallback to GNS430 + GNC255 (thanks A_and_C).

wigglyamp wrote:

The one downside is that for Robin aircraft, the approval only currently covers the 300/400 series!

Is there any chance that this STC would be extended to cover Robin 200 series?

Sorry for intruding – new member to the forum.

As Peter correctly posted earlier, the EASA AML STC for LPV promoted by PPL/IR and funded by ESA is owned by Gama Aviation at Fairoaks and covers approval of an existing GNS4xx/5xx for LPV, including upgrading a non-WAAS box to WAAS where necessary. It doesn’t cover the basic installation of GNS units. There are good reasons for the pre-requisite condition of having a DME and transponder, but those are for a separate discussion!

However, the good news is that Gama also have another STC (mod 1224, EASA 10034814) which allows installation of single or dual GNS-W units in almost all Part 23 piston types, with approval for BRNav. Therefore, using the installation mod (1224) plus the LPV mod (1259) will give you full IFR certification for BRNav, PRNav and LPV. The one downside is that for Robin aircraft, the approval only currently covers the 300/400 series! The aim behind this STC was to allow continued installation of second-hand boxes which are becoming available as some owners upgrade to GTNs.

Avionics geek.

Anders wrote:

That STC does not cover the installation of GNS430 or installation of GNS430W. It only covered already existing units, ie there needs to be a separate piece of paper which allows the installation. The STC does however cover upgrading from a GNS430 to a GNS430W.

Correct, it only enables WAAS for LPV. As topic starter doesn’t want approaches, this doesn’t make sense.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Stampe wrote:

Fyi if it helps a friend had a new build DR400/180 built by Robin in 2000 the factory installation was GNS430 navcom GNS 420 gpscom and an Stec 30 autopilot a very simple but effective fit which seemed radically outlandish at the time but which has become increasingly relevant over the years.Vbr Stampe

This doesn’t help, as this was a factory installation and another type of aircraft.

Robin_253 wrote:

Thanks! 2 * GNS is my configuration of choice, but I will need to check with EASA if they would allow it in an old Robin.

If your seeking for a new approval, they won’t. This is explicit excluded from minor changes. Why do you need two units?

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Peter wrote:

But two GPSs takes you back into EASA Major mod territory, no?

No… It only list Garmin GNS series. So no problem installing a GNS and a KMD for example.

It is a stupid regulation. You might also find other old approvals. These will likely be non WAAS approvals. The topic starter doesn’t need WAAS as he doesn’t want to do approaches. A non WAAS GNS is very capable for EIR.

JP-Avionics
EHMZ

Stampe wrote:

Fyi if it helps a friend had a new build DR400/180 built by Robin in 2000 the factory installation was GNS430 navcom GNS 420 gpscom and an Stec 30 autopilot a very simple but effective fit which seemed radically outlandish at the time but which has become increasingly relevant over the years.Vbr Stampe

Thanks! 2 * GNS is my configuration of choice, but I will need to check with EASA if they would allow it in an old Robin.

That sounds like one of the EASA STCs obtained by Lees Avionics (later Gama).

Interesting it says “The aircraft must be equipped with an operational DME and Transponder”. I wonder what might have driven that slightly bizzare requirement! How can that possibly affect the certification?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
52 Posts
Sign in to add your message