Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rotax announce new 135 HP engine 915S / 915iS

Not so with the 914. 100 out of 115 is allowed as MCP. But still it should be more than enough for most purposes especially at high altitudes. At least you have 135hp available on take off, when you need power the most.

Last Edited by europaxs at 22 Jul 08:34
EDLE

Will it make that ugly sound when it stops? :-)

At least the Rotax only stops if I want him to

EDLE

@Flyer59: if you are referring to the clattering noise in the gearbox (which can be ugly indeed): that can be largely avoided by cutting one magneto, counting three, only then cutting the other magneto.

Last Edited by at 22 Jul 09:42
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I see, never knew that! But I have only flown (german) ULs for a couple of hours so i don’t really know much about it!

Remember 135hp can power a PA28, C172, DA40 etc – granted, it won’t climb great but it’s a good healthy competition for the Thielert Engine. Lets hope it works and wish them every success.

DMEarc wrote:

Remember 135hp can power a PA28, C172, DA40 etc – granted, it won’t climb great but …

I wouldn’t want to fly a 135 hp PA28 or C172. Already the 160 hp versions have a MTOM about 100 kg lower than the 180 hp ones.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Jul 11:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

And I wouldn’t want to run that engine close to maximum power for long periods. It remains the block as designed for an 80 HP engine, after all.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

many parts , many possibilities of problems in a small engine

The full list in my eyes is: turbo, water cooling, EFI, factory assembled built up crankshaft with needle bearing rods and reduction gearbox. As a private owner I’ve chosen a used carbureted O-320. It makes 15 more HP for takeoff, needs none of that stuff, and I can fly it for the rest of my life.

Its a good engine for drones

I agree, particularly as the government is paying for UAVs. They often need to fly to airliner altitudes that make turbo plus EFI attractive for a small piston powered plane. It’s cheaper than a jet!

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Jul 13:59
Sign in to add your message