Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Rotax announce new 135 HP engine 915S / 915iS

EFI being known for failing left right and center…

My earnings fixing other people’s EFI in my spare time are up to about $200K…. or about five more aircraft.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 22 Jul 14:08

Which EFI systems would that be? Surely there aren’t very many Rotax iS in the field yet?

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

I know someone who ran a BMW engine in his Ultralight. According to him the EFI was the only component that didn’t fail

EDLE

Silvaire wrote:

It makes 15 more HP for takeoff, needs none of that stuff, and I can fly it for the rest of my life.

Until it stops by itself due to cracked cylinders, burned valves etc. Flew a Lycoming 360 yesterday, a Rotax 912ULS today. I like them both, but only the Rotax will run for 2000+ hours and all you have to do is change spark plugs and oil.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Mated a a wobbly prop it might have enough thrust. After all theirlet where only 125 to start with and they went in a few pa28 and 172s.

Also I would expect this unit to be lighter than say an o-300 that where fitted in the early Cessna 172.

It’s more options which has to be a good thing.

Last Edited by Bathman at 22 Jul 14:20

Silvaire wrote:

particularly as the government is paying for UAVs

and they do not mind paying for a one Rotax screw 8.8 parts per 100 euros, or a replacement “rotax” turbo for 4.000 euros.

Last Edited by celtico at 22 Jul 14:27
pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

Good that spare parts for the Lycosaurus are so cheap. Come on, this is going to become religious…

EDLE

LeSving, my O-320 has 44 years to date on the original cylinders. If it ever cracks one, which I very much doubt will be the case, they’ll be under $1000 each. So overall I’m not too worried ;-)

rotax 912, for me, has a lot to improve, there is much confusion and bad finishes
Who designed put the carburetors above the exhaust?, or all the confusion of cables and water/oil tubes

An example
injection Rotax much better finish than the original

pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL
Sign in to add your message