Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

SEP revalidation by experience (merged)

if you meet the requirements for admin revalidation (e.g. 12 hours, 6 PIC, 1 hour dual) earlier in the second year, you can get it revalidated earlier but keeping the original date + 2 years (source – Czech CAA – in Czech unfortunatelly). It doesn´t apply if you need to do the checkride with FE.
I would also check with your FE – he might tell you that renewal of rating expired by month or two is not an issue at all, you just need to do a flight with him. So unless you are afraid to fly with FE instead of FI (or CRI) this is an option as well.

Last Edited by Michal at 23 Dec 22:09
LKKU, LKTB

Michal wrote:

if you meet the requirements for admin revalidation (e.g. 12 hours, 6 PIC, 1 hour dual) earlier in the second year, you can get it revalidated earlier but keeping the original date + 2 years (source – Czech CAA – in Czech unfortunatelly).

Funnily enough, this used to be the option when I was in the UK / CAA licensed. Now I’m in the Austrian system and the requirements are as I wrote above. Does this vary from country to country? It seems so.

The “hour flight with an instructor” can be any time in the second year.
The signing of the revalidation can be done in unflyable weather if you’ve got the requirements.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Maybe the difference in interpretations comes from the latest FCL amendment. EUR-Lex link

Regarding the validity periods of class and type ratings, it says:

20) point FCL.740 is replaced by the following: ‘FCL.740 Validity and renewal of class and type ratings (a) Validity The validity period of class and type ratings shall be 1 year, except for single-pilot single-engine class ratings for which the validity period shall be 2 years, unless otherwise determined in the OSD. If pilots choose to fulfill the revalidation requirements earlier than prescribed in FCL.740.A, FCL.740.H, FCL.740.PL and FCL.740.As, the new validity period shall commence from the date of the proficiency check.

“date of the proficiency check” seems to be the catchphrase- if you revalidate by experience, you don’t do a proficiency check, since the whole point of the exercise is to avoid one. So, one could argue, the change of validity period doesn’t apply to a revalidation by experience. Maybe this helps in your discussion with Austrocontrol.

The Germans do interpret it as stated- prof check gives you a new date, revalidation by experience does not.

Ah, and one little thing: This thread only mentions FEs, but since you aren’t doing a license skill test, a CRE will suffice. Maybe in your area one of these is more accessible/flexible/pleasant to fly with?

Merry Christmas to all!

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

I need urgent help: my UK-issued EASA-PPL SEP rating is due to expire in 5 days. I have booked all the hours to be eligible for Revalidation (including 1h training with a non-UK EASA FI). Can a non-UK EASA FI/Examiner sign the SEP revalidation on my UK-EASA license? Not according to this UK CAA link

If you are revalidating your SEP by experience and are flying in a European Member State, please note that a Certificate of Revalidation held on a licence issued by the UK cannot be signed by a non-UK EASA examiner. SEP revalidation by experience can be signed in a UK issued licence by an examiner holding a valid UK issued Part-FCL examiner certificate or a Flight Instructor with the privileges of FCL.945

1) I heard there are UK-Accredited EASA FI/Examiners living all over Europe that could sign the revalidation, but there is no official list held by the UK CAA to find/contact them. Any name in Italy?
2) Otherwise, any UK-EASA FI/Examiner available next week around London?

Thanks a lot

United Kingdom

The UK CAA does not allow non-UK FE/FI/CRI too sign on the back of a UK licence (unless they are explicitly authorized, there is a list of FEs, so you can look for that one and search if any around Italy) but if you send their and your revalidation papers to CAA and the UK CAA will sign your SEP rating

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Beware of getting into a situation where your license has to be sent to the CAA, if it contains any ratings which have expired.

When you get it back, they will remove those entries.

This creates a nasty trap for anyone who let his EASA IR lapse. A freelance examiner can no longer sign you off. He cannot sign off any license or rating which is no longer printed on there. The whole lot has to go to the CAA. Last time this happened to me they lost it for 9 months and when it came back (only after I wrote to their chief executive, having got fobbed off for months) the IR had only 3 months left on it.

Mancival – check your PMs.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is the UK FE list local copy

Problem is that it contains no info on where they are based (UK, abroad, etc.) or how to contact them…

United Kingdom

Thanks a lot. Just to double check on related points:
- can the 1h training flight be done with a non-UK EASA FI, for the revalidation of a UK-issued-EASA-PPL SEP rating?
- can it be possible that my UK-issued EASA ppl has no expiry, while the Italy-issued EASA ppl of my father must be renewed every 5 years (while ratings have same expiries in both countries)? I heard in UK the ppl also used to expire every 5 years but no longer the case with the EASA version…

United Kingdom

Gosh there are some surprising names on there, who really should not be flying a plane (on grounds of mental incapacity, and/or being plain weird) let alone examining

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message