Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing near Airport Bolzano LIPB

I have this from Verona Boscomantico LIPN:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

They charged me garbage fee at Verona and after complaining it was refunded – it’s not mandatory.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

How does Bolzano deal with say a DA42? They can’t force it on grass.

Here is a nice pic

Loads of hard parking.

Administrator

From Bolzano:

we can park your Aircraft on our main apron with included the payment of Handling.

Custom (passport control) is available every time but if you need to do TAX FREE in the week end we have to book the service

By “tax free” I assume they mean duty reclaim or some such. So it looks like if you pay for Handling then you can get hard parking.

Update: €30 for handling, so the extra cost of hard parking is €30.

Administrator

Peter I thought of Bolzano as well. There is only one hitch which is the weather. Ive done a lot of mountain airport flying in the winter and its really unpredictable. With possible ice and snowy runways usually not a big deal unless there is a 60* cross wind of >25KTS. Ice and rate of climb though is a biggy. Even with the moderate load 70% of gross it can be difficult to climb out at 800’/min thru 7000’ and at gross I can get 500"/min. With any downdrafts its very dicy. I had plans to fly into Bolzano this past summer just never got around to it. However I did go to Bled. I did check on their sky resorts nearby to LJLJ which is International airport in a valley from which you can fly out. Ive never been to their ski resorts but when I looked into them they looked good and should be great for you. That plus the fees and all expenses are less than I suspect at Bolzano. Im also speaking accommodations as well.

If you plan on going to these mountain airports make sure you have wing covers and also a way to preheat the plane in case you have to spend the night. My problem is that I have Reiff and its only made for 110V so I carry a transformer. But unlike in the states (Its difficult to get a plug in there as well) in Europe its not very common. So that has to be arranged in advance. If it really gets cold -15 to -20F you would want to heat the cabin as well. I have a portable heater I stick under the panel. It only took once to learn not to start the instruments with those temps.

I might go to LJLJ after I get my plane back from Service at EDMV after the 9th of Jan. Have to be back in BPest by the 18th so I can be off to the US the following Monday. But thats only if all the stars align just right.

KHTO, LHTL

I would not depart from the UK unless I see clear webcams for the area.

If you plan on going to these mountain airports make sure you have wing covers and also a way to preheat the plane in case you have to spend the night.

For external de-ice I carry this but have not yet had to open the TKS container.

I do have wing covers and I think elevator covers but have never used them; if they got covered in frost I am not sure I could do much with them. Also they break off the static wicks.

Not sure one needs to preheat the engine unless it is really cold. When I did ski trips in March 2016 it was above zero at the airports.

I would not depart into icing conditions climbing out of a canyon.

Bolzano is difficult – like with so many airports one is banging one’s head against a brick wall; in this case why one has to buy avgas under the table from the aeroclub, etc. If pilots were not so determined, nobody would fly to these useless places. But I will give it a go and will have enough fuel to fly elsewhere. Might even pop over to Croatia afterwards for some “normality”… Annecy is easier but you have to go Friday-Monday.

I did check on their sky resorts nearby to LJLJ which is International airport in a valley from which you can fly out. Ive never been to their ski resorts but when I looked into them they looked good and should be great for you. That plus the fees and all expenses are less than I suspect at Bolzano. Im also speaking accommodations as well.

I have been to Slovenia and no doubt it is worth researching. The traditional skiing Alps are a ripoff if one is looking for basic skiing. That is what many skiers have told me. That’s why I won’t be going again to Switzerland or Austria; there isn’t any basic skiing there apart from kids’ slopes. We have had loads of previous threads on this topic; some disagree, but when I check out the suggested locations there is nothing basic there. It is all for good skiers.

Bolzano airport itself is not expensive. The gotcha is avgas, if you can’t get it.

Administrator

It only took once to learn not to start the instruments with those temps.

What happened? The needles frozen against their stops?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Peter wrote:

That’s why I won’t be going again to Switzerland or Austria; there isn’t any basic skiing there apart from kids’ slopes. We have had loads of previous threads on this topic; some disagree, but when I check out the suggested locations there is nothing basic there. It is all for good skiers.

That’s the problem with checking ski maps on the internet – blue and red runs can vary a lot from a resort to the other – and indeed within the same resort two similar color slopes can have varying grades of difficulty. Without going there it is impossible to say “I can’t ski there because there are no blues / reds”.

Case in point – Zermatt where there are no blues yet every year we take complete beginners there for a week, some of them having never even seen snow before.

So yes – it can happen that you end in a resort where (initially) you are challenged, but I think it is a pity to miss out just because of that.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 10 Dec 10:55

Peter wrote:

For external de-ice I carry this but have not yet had to open the TKS container.

Im not sure why anyone would use that rip-off product TKS for deicing on the ground. Its cheaper to use drinkable vodka which I have used when I was stupid enough not to have used my wing covers.

I do have wing covers and I think elevator covers but have never used them; if they got covered in frost I am not sure I could do much with them. Also they break off the static wicks.

My wing covers are flexible down thru -20F. I have had rain then freeze with 1/2 inch of ice resulting under 8 inches of snow. After the snow is broomed off the cover comes off very easily.Peter wrote:

That’s why I won’t be going again to Switzerland or Austria; there isn’t any basic skiing there apart from kids’ slopes. We have had loads of previous threads on this topic; some disagree, but when I check out the suggested locations there is nothing basic there. It is all for good skiers.

Last year I went to Ruhpolding and skied there. They had plenty of beginners slopes. Check out their website below.

https://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Germany/Ruhpolding.html

As you can see its 1 hr drive from Salzburg. I drove in from Munich (1hr 25 min) and stayed overnight. The only thing is I will NEVER again ski on a weekend or during a school break.

Peter wrote:

Bolzano airport itself is not expensive.

I was referring to the whole hotel dinning lift ticket experience. If you enroll in a ski school you get a package including lift ticket for a very reasonable sum. But since you fly an airplane you should not be looking at prices since it is common knowledge that anyone who flies let alone owns their own airplane is rich.

KHTO, LHTL

dublinpilot wrote:

What happened? The needles frozen against their stops?

Not sure if you are serious or kidding around.

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message