Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Socata TB meet-up Lee on Solent EGHF UK 20th Aug 2022

I don’t know much about this but I plan to pop down – in the car

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Having made that drive (or something very close) twice in the last 33 years, may the traffic gods be with you

Last Edited by Silvaire at 16 Aug 21:11

I’ll see you there! Planning to arrive 10:30LT or so. Never been there, so looking forward to it.

EHRD, Netherlands

I was going to come down, but we are now out of action pending exhaust repair. The drive to Lee is a PITA so will be staying home this time.

Have fun those who are going, look forwards to seeing the pictures.

EGBP, United Kingdom

I started driving but after an hour and having made just 20 miles I turned back, due to the traffic jams.

Lee on Solent is always hard to get to from anywhere. They should choose Shoreham, right next to the A27 / A24 / A23 but I guess there is the “boycott Shoreham for its £30 landing fee” mentality, which should not exist at all in the TB community.

Pity; I had some EuroGA leaflets to hand out It’s very hard to get them out otherwise. I can post them but…

Administrator

We had a great fly-in yesterday at EGHF. I won the award for the longest trip, coming from EHRD, which is a bit disappointing considering how many mainland TBs could make the trip easily. I think people really overdramatize the channel crossing, which amounted to 15 min at FL080—always within gliding distance of land. Compared to the North Sea crossing I did a couple months ago to Norway, or even flying over less than hospitable terrain, it seems like much ado about nothing.

With a bit of manual work on the routing I was able to file and fly a coastal IFR route from EHRD to Calais, then cross to Dover at FL080, then coastal route to EGHF, all in CAS until my descent below 6k ft at the end. London initially assigned me a LHR arrival until I clarified my intentions, after which that was quickly remedied. There were several attempts to put me on airways that would lengthen my crossing, but I just kept politely insisting on my Calais-Dover routing.

My filed route was: N0110F040 COSTA2B COA KOK 5103N00227E SUDOD 5097N00200E OTGUV/N0110F080 RINTI DVR MID VFR

Before leaving, had to play airplane Tetris for an hour because our hangar manager is on holiday:

Cool seeing the channel tunnel entrance from above:

First time flying over the beautiful English coastline:

Lots of TBs:

Departure from EGHF:

EHRD, Netherlands

which is a bit disappointing considering how many mainland TBs could make the trip easily. I think people really overdramatize the channel crossing, which amounted to 15 min at FL080—always within gliding distance of land.

I think nobody dramatizes thes flights due to the crossing, which, as you say, isn‘t even worth talking about between Calais and Dover, but more due to the customs hassles and some of the weird flying regs in the UK.

There were several attempts to put me on airways that would lengthen my crossing, but I just kept politely insisting on my Calais-Dover routing.

That‘s normal. ATC will generally offer to shorten your route as much as possible, without regards to water. After all, most aircraft crossing „airways IFR) will be twins or turbines.

Beautiful Aztec in the hangar there!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I think nobody dramatizes thes flights due to the crossing, which, as you say, isn‘t even worth talking about between Calais and Dover, but more due to the customs hassles and some of the weird flying regs in the UK.

I have to admit I was a bit leery about the possibility of issues with customs and the “weird regs” as you say, but the trip made me realize there’s really nothing to be concerned about. The gendec took about 1 minute to fill out, which took care of both sides, and it added zero time on either end of the trip. I knew from reading posts here to file an altitude in CAS, or to accept that I was on my own IFR. Really not an issue.

boscomantico wrote:

That‘s normal. ATC will generally offer to shorten your route as much as possible, without regards to water. After all, most aircraft crossing „airways IFR) will be twins or turbines.

I actually do know this, but the reason I say it is to benefit others who often feel like they must just accept what ATC says without negotiation.

boscomantico wrote:

Beautiful Aztec in the hangar there!

Yes it really is, except that it’s a Twin Comanche.

EHRD, Netherlands

Looks like a great meetup

You did well with your routing. On past record, either of these Red Arrows flypast prohibited bits gets you a £5000 fine, as one guy from Belgium may remember (he came back to the UK for the court case, too)

I am sorry I missed it!

Administrator

Great trip, that shinny TB is flying all over the place now !

With a bit of manual work on the routing I was able to file and fly a coastal IFR route from EHRD to Calais, then cross to Dover at FL080, then coastal route to EGHF, all in CAS until my descent below 6k ft at the end. London initially assigned me a LHR arrival until I clarified my intentions

I imagine you got dumped at Goodwood VOR rather than routing to Southampton VOR?

My filed route was: N0110F040 COSTA2B COA KOK 5103N00227E SUDOD 5097N00200E OTGUV/N0110F080 RINTI DVR MID VFR

I am not sure why ForeFlight is filing VFR after Midfield VOR? it makes zero difference

You did well with your routing. On past record, either of these Red Arrows flypast prohibited bits gets you a £5000 fine

I had an issue with “OCAS dump at Goodwood” two months ago

Last Edited by Ibra at 21 Aug 13:31
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message