Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Glass cockpit vs steam gauges for low time PPL (and getting into a fast aircraft early on)

Silvaire wrote:

The P210 has a reputation for being capable, but also one of the most demanding light aircraft to own and operate. Would this not be the last aircraft to recommend to a first time aircraft buyer? Maybe a P337 twin might be worse?

Getting to fly regularly with a friend in his P210 I would concur. A C182 (ideally the RG) would be IMHO be the ideal candidate here.

I don’t see how a turbo would add that much value operating from Cyprus. But I have never flown one, so my opinion is worth little….

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 27 Jul 04:24
Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

I don’t see how a turbo would add that much value operating from Cyprus.

It’s often hot here, and it would climb better. Or if I ever go further to Europe and cross some mountains, it must be much better there.
Also, if we talk about used planes, turbos usually have more options and oxygen.

LCPH, Cyprus

For example, they land with gears up.

We have several threads on this – one example – but it is a myth that this is inevitable. The vast majority of people don’t smash their planes up and the vast majority of retractables don’t land with the gear up. It tends to happen in unusual scenarios coupled with a habit of not following correct procedures.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Anything that has more than an engine and a couple of radios becomes “complex” to maintain. Each additional system adds complexity. De-ice, turbos, radar, TIS, pressurisation…

The P210 is easy to fly. As all big bore engines, it requires careful engine management.

LFPT, LFPN

To answer the original question, definitely get glass. I see no reason to make things more difficult and put yourself at risk by reducing situational awareness.

As for the first plane choice, you’ll need 500h+IR+HPA to get rated on a TBM in Europe, so to me that is fantasy.

I was very happy with DA40 as first plane, as it had FADEC. It takes away having to think about EGT, CHT, mixture and all this 1960s stuff. Also no worries in steep descents, as it is water cooled.

As you progress to turbine, you’ll find that it is actually easier to fly than piston. Oxygen management is out, icing fear is less, radar allows cutting it closer.

LPFR, Poland

One more idea: try to make a deal with Diamond. You order a new DA62 which is to be delivered in a year or two. In the meantime you buy a used DA40 which you return once the twin is delivered and you have your 70 hours (or more).

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

terbang wrote:

One more idea: try to make a deal with Diamond. You order a new DA62 which is to be delivered in a year or two. In the meantime you buy a used DA40 which you return once the twin is delivered and you have your 70 hours (or more).

I don’t want a Diamond in Cyprus because of its glass canope, as I mentioned before (must be too hot inside). And I’m not ready to commit for the next aircraft when I have so little experience and my preference is likely to change when I get some experience.

LCPH, Cyprus

My instructor told me there was a guy from Greece that could come and he was authorized to deal with Garmin avionics. So I don’t see any reason to buy non-glass.

LCPH, Cyprus

Lots of reasons not to buy glass.

• integrated systems may be hard to troubleshoot
  • sending a screen in for repair means the plane is AOG
  • integrated systems eventually become obsolete and out of support by the manufacturer meaning that you may need to perform a very costly upgrade if at all possible
  • you are at the mercy of one single manufacturer

With a conventional six pack it easy to replace the dead instrument and continue with your life. The same thing is also true of something like an Aspen.

Lots of reasons to buy glass too…

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message