Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Summer trip to Denmark / Copenhagen

End of July, it was time for that customary 3-day flying weekend with my friends, departing from Lübeck (EDHL). Previous editions led us to Palanga and to Gdansk. Those have been really great trips, helped both times by nice high pressure weather over the Baltic region.

There we were again, with a bunch of potential destinations in our minds. Number one of which, this time, was Denmark and its capital, Copenhagen. The weather was generally good in Northern Germany and surroundings, but pretty much the only place where we would be guaranteed sunshine and warm summer temps throughout, was: Copenhagen! We couldn’t believe how lucky we were. For the third time in a row now!

Also, we were fortunate to find and be able to book some decently priced accommodation for the four of us, even on this high summer weekend with great weather forecasts and with just 24 hours prior notice.

As regards the airport, we decided to use Roskilde (EKRK) instead of Kastrup (EKCH). While Kastrup is significantly closer to Copenhagen, it has unfortunately become very expensive in recent years. Roskilde on the other hand is totally easy, hassle-free and dirt cheap. We booked a rental car at Roskilde airport.

Also, the day before departure, the idea was born to make an intermediate stop on our way to Copenhagen, for a pic-nic and a swim. Halfway between Lübeck and Copenhagen there are several small Danish islands and a few of them have an airstrip. Most notably: Vejrø, a small private island with a well-cared for, 630-metre airstrip, a restaurant and a hotel. The “Glenforsa of Denmark", so to speak.

Here’s a basic idea of the route. The point where the route turns slightly is our intermediate stop, Vejrø.

Maybe this gives a better idea of the geographics of Vejrø:

As always, we departed early in the morning. VFR. The ETE to Vejrø in the SR22 was 30 minutes, and that was some sightseeing factored in. Here we are, just after departure, on our way to the reporting point “November”: Lübeck City.

Two minutes later, coming up over Travemünde.

That peninsula on the right by the way is the Priwall, which was part of the former GDR. On the other side is Travemünde (ex-FRG). This is really how close the two worlds used to be together here. Over the years, many people tried to swim over and some succeeded. The Priwall used to be scattered with observation towers…

Some very good fresh fish can be had in the fishing harbour of Travemünde. Most notably, Dorsch, the Baltic variant of the cod (losely speaking).

Here, you can see the sailing ship “Passat", a trademark of Travemünde, as well as the Hotel Maritim (the other trademark) and of course, the beach.

We followed the coastline of the Bay of Lübeck, passing Timmendorf, Niendorf and Scharbeutz. Next checkpoint was the nice little airfield of Sierksdorf (EDXT).

After that, we turned north and passed places like Neustadt, Grömitz and Kellenhusen. Here we are, overlooking the island of Fehmarn.

The sea crossing from Fehmarn to Lolland (Denmark) is about 7 minutes in the SR22. This is the main town on Lolland, Nakskov.

Here we are, overhead the neighbouring island of Vejrø, called Femø. Femø does have an airfield too and you can see it here. It’s the green strip leading towards the centre of the island. A nice place too, and there is a restaurant (“Kro”) at the end of the runway.

And here, photographed just two minutes later, is Vejrø.

Here is another shot, from a little closer. In the foreground, you can see the marina, as well as the restaurant / hotel (a little to the right of the marina). The airstrip is at the other end of the island and is a little hard to see here, so I added two markers.

No more photos of the approach, but one of my buddies filmed the landing:

This is the track log of our flight:

Parked up, right next to the runway and to the beach.

By the way, Vejrø has a very special place in my heart. That is because, when I was a child, my father used to bring us, the whole family, here many times in summer. Hence, I spent many a summer’s day here, enjoying the freedom to do as I pleased. It’s one of those childhood places whose look and feel one never forgets in life. Here is just one photo which was taken just a few metres away, in about 1986. Thirty years ago. Today, only the Cessna looks the same as then…

Some more pics:

Cycling back to the airfield. Can you spot the aircraft?

We then had a nice swim in the Baltic sea (even before noon, it was already about 25 degrees outside, the water probably 20 degrees). Then we had a nice little pic-nic that we had brought along. There is a table and benches for that right next to the runway. They even have grilling equipment.

At around 1:00 pm, we departed again. The take-off was a non-event. Despite being almost at MTOW, with an OAT of 27 degrees and very little wind to help us, we were off after just under 400 of the 630 metres available.

Here we are, reaching Zealand (Zealand is the largest and most populated island of Denmark, as Copenhagen is located there). This town is Naestved, with it’s own airfield.

Here we are, approaching the metropolitan area of Copenhagen. This town is called Køge.

Slightly further north, these are the beaches where would spend most of the afternoon (Sølrød Strand).

Before landing at Roskilde airport, I decided to make another little circle, over the city of Roskilde. In fact, Roskilde used to be the capital of Denmark, before Copenhagen took over.

On final for runway 11 at EKRK:

Roskilde airport is simply fabulous. After parking the aircraft, we walked over to the terminal building (100 meters) and the gentlemen behind the counter smiled at us, with the key for the rental car dangling in his hand.

Some more time at the beach. After all, this type of weather doesn’t happen all too often up here….

Later, we drove in to Copenhagen, checked in at the hotel and enjoyed out first evening there.
The famous “Tivoli” (amusement park).

The Town Hall.

One of the central squares in Copenhagen.

A park. There were tons of people enjoying the evening sun in the grass, having drinks, probably because of the high cost of drinks at the cafés, etc. Needless to say, we did the same.

Certainly one of the “features” of Copenhagen is Christiania. Christinia is a part of the quarter named Christianshavn, where (soft) drugs are openly sold and consumed. Certainly not my cup of tea, but interesting to see such in a place in Denmark, tolerated by the police. No photos allowed beyond this sign.

As I said, having drinks at a bar is quite expensive in Denmark. Think 8 Euros a small beer and 15 Euros a longdrink. However, we figured that since we didn’t use much fuel that day (in total, just one hour of flight), we could allow ourselves of couple of those…

The next morning we participated in a “free walking tour” of Copenhagen, which is always highly recommended.

A classic in Denmark: Hot-Dog. These are sold from numerous tiny caravans positioned all over the city.

The most famous street in Kopenhagen: Nyhavn (“new haven”)

In the afternoon, we spent some more time at the beach, this time just a few kilometeres north of the city. Gosh, what a great place Copenhagen is!

The third day, the weather was still great, so we decided to spend another few hours in Copenhagen. Right in the city, there is a very nice public swimming bath, “Islands Brygge”. All free of charge.

One last Danish lunch: Smørrebrød.

Back at Roskilde airport. The VFR flightplan was filed in the meantime, using the iPhone and Skydemon. Priceless.

On the spur of the moment, we decided to do some more sightseeing of Copenhagen from the air before heading south and back home. A clearance from Kastrup Tower to do as we pleased was no problem at all. These photos turned out pretty cool I think.

Down there is the swimming bath where we stayed just a couple of hours ago.

Down there is Christiania.

After we had turned around, it was more difficult to take proper photos.

Here’s Nyhavn.

To the right is Kastrup airport. To the left is Öresund Bridge, linking Copenhagen to Sweden.

We then left the Kastrup CTR southbound, and returned, basically on a direct course to Lübeck, which was slightly more easterly than our outbound flight. Again, a few more nice pictures of the Danish islands.

Orupgaard airfield.

An interesting sandbank, south of the island of Falster.

These wind turbines look as if they were suspended in space.

Back very close to home, abeam Travemünde. This is where is I learned to play Golf (sort of).

Travemünde, from the other side.

And back in Lübeck, turning for a tight base leg for runway 07.

A great little trip!

Last Edited by boscomantico at 21 Aug 16:17
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

mh
Aufwind GmbH
EKPB, Germany

Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Very motivating report, many thanks. We have been to Copenhagen several times and just talked today about this nice city.boscomantico wrote:

That peninsula on the right by the way is the Priwall

The Priwall was a former seeplane airfield. There you can still find some traces. I have found a wooden propeller, a triangel sign from Junkers, plane parts and some more little peaces from that time.

My experiance is that parking in the city of Copenhagen is not easy to find. The taxi ride from Roskilde airport is ridiculous expensive. We take our Bromptons to the train station (5 km) and can use the bikes in the city for sightseeing.

boscomantico wrote:

we were fortunate to find and be able to book some decently priced accommodation for the four of us

To find a good accomodation is not easy as well. It would be nice to know the name and adress of your hotel.

Berlin, Germany

This is not my kind of trip at all – I do not like summer heat, neither big cities or crowds, nor places with expensive booze. And I even prefer grass runways Even so, it is interesting to see what other people enjoy, and the pictures are nice, and best of all I enjoyed little bits of info like the Dorsch tip, or the below. Also interesting to read about the Priwall, an area I have yet to discover. It compares a bit to Rügen, which I do have visited a couple of times, and liked very much.

Many thanks! Looking forward to the next one!

Roskilde used to be the capital of Denmark, before Copenhagen took over.
Last Edited by at 21 Aug 16:48
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Great Bosco, super report
Copenhagen is near the top of my list, maye in the fall if the weather is still/nice …
I like big city trips the best :-) That – and islands.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 21 Aug 16:50

A great report (as usual from Bosco ), thank you!

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Very very good pics – thanks!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Nice trip! Copenhagen for sure one of the best cities in Scandinavia. As born and bred Stockholm kid, I have to say Copenhagen comes pretty close.

Excellent stuff – thanks for sharing!

16 Posts
Sign in to add your message