Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Technical on LFEY

Blueline – do you use static port plugs and a pitot cover right after every landing?

Pitot cover yes (except for very short stays of half an hour or so), static port covers until now no.

This is why one would should use static plugs too !

Yes, that’s the lesson I learned from this episode. Although it seems know a natural thing, neither the training aircraft or any rented plane I have flown in the past had static port plugs. The ST10 also had none (we fabricated some on the spot yesterday). The pre-flight checklist requires a visual check of the ports, but this is obviously insufficient to detect such “nests” further up the lines.

Last Edited by blueline at 06 Jul 07:38
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

This is why one would should use static plugs too !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

I don’t think those worms got in there while you were parked on LFEY

Normally it takes months or years to get a complete blockage.

Blueline – do you use static port plugs and a pitot cover right after every landing?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Good that it is resolved…
It looks like we can move this thread to the “Healty Food” section of the forum ;-)

Problem solved – one startic port had partly and the other completely been blocked by insects that were not visible from the outside. We had to use a compressor to get them out.

@ Michael: There seems to be something with the fauna in LFEY .

No idea. Vr is 65, yes.

How did it get to 100K ??? No doubt that Socata rotates at something like 60K so how the hell did the ASI get to 100 ? Did someone blow in it after the TO attempt ?

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Attempts at fixing the ASI myself failed, will fly in the aeroclub mechanic from the mainland tomorrow morning. Thanks to all who contributed.

BTW: The ONLY time in over 20 years of aviating that I had a blocked pitot was at … LFEY !

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

blueline wrote:

Correct at start of t/o run, but thereafter erroneous reading. 100 knots at parking.

Could be static blocked – have you tried opening alternate static ?

Come to think of it, for the speed indicator to become blocked at say 100k, that would suggest that both the static AND the pitot are clogged.

Sounds more like a faulty speed indicator

Last Edited by Michael at 04 Jul 15:22
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message