Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The important trip: Gloucestershire (EGBJ) to Kassel (EDVK)

Congrats on getting yourself into a very capable aircraft Stephan

It will do wonders for your flying enjoyment.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I will follow up on these things over the next few days. Under the right section :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

I am quite casual on thread drifts but might I suggest that really valuable aircraft specific (or aircraft systems specific) discussion doesn’t end up under Trips and Airports?

A lot of people read only some forum sections and none other.

Administrator

Over the years, tons of SR22 operators have reported problems with the outboard TKS panels.

In some cases, the problem was easily fixed: you need to run the system at freezing or below freezing temps. If it’s too warm, the fluid’s viscosity will not be right and it will all ooze out on the first few feet of travel.

However, I guess you were well below freezing on that flight at FL150, so if you really did run it long enough, then something else is wrong. I don’t exactly remember what the cure was in the other cases where people reported problems, but the filters were not.

My feeling is that these problems always come from the system not having been run frequently enough. I would suspect this is a particular problem with aircraft for sale, because, as we know, from the moment the owner decides to sell until the buyer flies it home, a half year or so can pass easily, without any use of the system.

I am not a huge fan of the TKS system.
a) the fluid is expensive
b) it’s a finite resource onboard
c) it’s necessary to run it every 30 days (I do it every 45 days but wouldn’t extend it any much more)
d) every time you run it, the aircraft will be a total mess. Only way out: run it early in the flight and thereafter fly through a 3-minute+ shower.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 05 Apr 17:40
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Try to wash the panels with TKS fluid carefully from the outside and use the system a couple of times on your next flights. Probably the system was not used for a long time. I run mine every two months and it works ok, and yours is the improved G3 version anway. Normally the system is pretty bulletproff – but the the sponges behind the titanum panels tend to dry out if not used. The TKS filter has to be changed regularly ($ 200 …)

CONGRATULATIONS!

The Socata owner’s group contains many posts, and I have some more in email, from TB owners whose prop TKS pump seized up due to lack of use.

This equipment is of poor quality – despite the extortionate pricing – and needs to be kept in good condition.

But, to be fair, there probably aren’t many systems used to pump a “sticky messy liquid”, which will work after a year of non-use, in any industrial application. And the laser-drilled holes in the leading edge strips are awfully tiny and easily blocked.

Administrator

It’s good to know how long it takes as obviously it’s only a preventative measure so you must think ahead.

It’s not only a preventive measure. TKS works as de-ice as well as anti-ice. Or at least in TB20 installations.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Regarding TKS I find it takes several minutes for fluid to come out and initially it will only come out in certain areas before the whole leading edge becomes covered. It’s good to know how long it takes as obviously it’s only a preventative measure so you must think ahead.

I also believe it’s recommended to use the system frequently to prevent blockages…

Last Edited by Roger at 05 Apr 16:27
EGBB

Cirrus UK had the ad up on planecheck.com but I never visited them. Only emails and two phone calls. Everything was done via email and with a personal visit to RGV at Gloucester where I got a warm welcome and very good attention. RGV had the pleasure to install a new exhaust system – it’s an upgrade kit – amongst other things. Everything engine related is supposed to be basically as new.

Frequent travels around Europe

That would be an interesting read. Did you buy the plane from the UK dealer?

Administrator
43 Posts
Sign in to add your message