Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Time building in Vienna without club membership

Hello everyone,

I hold an EASA PPL license issued by the Czech CAA. Unfortunately, I am currently not residing in Europe. However, I frequently visit various cities in Europe, with Vienna being one of them.

I have been attempting to locate a school or club in the Vienna area where I can rent a plane for flying during my visits (approximately 2-3 visits within a span of 6 months). Regrettably, every school or club I have contacted requires membership to fly their planes. This is not an ideal option for me, as I am uncertain about the frequency of my visits to Vienna.

I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with a school around Vienna that allows plane rental without requiring a membership?

LKLT, Israel

Watschinger, LOAV
Aviation Flight Center, LOAN
I also know a 172 for rent, PM me.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 16 Jan 23:41
always learning
LO__, Austria

Will any school/club rent you a plane without a checkout flight? So that will cost you lots of €€€ hence I wonder what value there is in not being a “club” member. In a lot of places, “club” membership is a condition of insurance.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Will any school/club rent you a plane without a checkout flight? So that will cost you lots of €€€ hence I wonder what value there is in not being a “club” member. In a lot of places, “club” membership is a condition of insurance.

The value is that you don’t have to pay a membership fee. (Or worse, an additional joining fee, as some clubs have.) Of course the rental is probably more expensive but if you’re only going to fly occasionally, then it doesn’t matter.

E.g. when I spent some time in the Los Angeles area a few years back, I looked for places to rent aircraft. There were actually some clubs in the European sense, but as they asked for a membership fee it was still cheaper to rent commercially for the few hours I was going to fly.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 17 Jan 11:42
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Unless there is a joining fee (buy-in) I would join a club. It’s prob90 cheaper in the long run if you factor in insurance, checkout, etc. A friend of mine is in a club at LOAU (Stockerau) and IIRC there is no buy-in.

Airborne_Again wrote:

There were actually some clubs in the European sense, but as they asked for a membership fee it was still cheaper to rent commercially for the few hours I was going to fly.

All the clubs I am aware of in the L.A. basin are equity clubs, IOW you buy a share and then own part of the fleet. AFAIK most / all have also capped membership which, at least now, leads to waiting lists. The only ‘club’ that operates differently in the SoCal area is PlusOne in San Diego. They operate a huge fleet of around 100 planes, but all are leasebacks, so you do your checkout, pay some intro fee (something like 100 bucks) and go flying. Their monthly is also cheap at around $30. Posting this here just for future reference.

172driver wrote:

All the clubs I am aware of in the L.A. basin are equity clubs, IOW you buy a share and then own part of the fleet. AFAIK most / all have also capped membership which, at least now, leads to waiting lists.

This was over four years ago so I don’t remember the details. I do remember that it didn’t make sense for me to join one.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message