Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Top ten (twenty?) busiest GA airfields in your country?

Gloucester is way up there. Around 80,000 movements I think.

Egnm, United Kingdom

Nobody posted here from France, so I asked someone there and he suggested numbers 5, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20 here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Rough estimate for Czech Republic is as follows:

Hradec Kralove, LKHK (71000 movements, 2016)
Letnany, LKLT
Pribram, LKPM
Mlada Boleslav, LKMB
Kunovice, LKKU
Jaromer, LKJA
Mnichovo Hradiste, LKMH
Jihlava, LKJI
Vysoke Myto, LKVM
Plzen, LKLN

The trouble is that there is no official movements data available apart LKHK, which is on the top of my list due to very high training traffic both helicopter and fixed wing due to large US government contract training Afghanistan pilots. In case that any other Czech pilot on this forum has better data for other airports, let me know via PM and I will correct this table, which is better than to post another different table on Czech Republic as that would only lead to confusions. I tried to ask Czech CAA but they do not have the data either.

LKHK, Czech Republic

Mark_B wrote:

AFAIK we have just short of 30,000 movements a year at Sherburn. Not sure how that ranks. Flying hours have been slightly down the last few years, which presumably is economic

Perhaps it is even more than that? Even little Redhill EGKR (tucked inside Gatwick’s Class D) had 47,400 movements between Jan – Dec 2016 (which was apparently UP on last year). However, Redhill does have a substantial heli presence also.

UK, United Kingdom

Pytlak wrote:

Pribram, LKPM

@Peter: What do think about visiting?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter wrote:

Nobody posted here from France, so I asked someone there and he suggested numbers 5, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 19, 20 here

I’m astonished Lyon Bron has less movements than some airports like Avignon or Aix les Milles.

Last Edited by jeff64 at 16 Mar 10:26
LFBZ, France

Oddly enough I couldn’t find any statistics for GA movements in Germany. The DFS yearly report only lists IFR flights (regardless of wheter commercial or not) and only regional airports.

Here in Northern Germany I’d guess that the island airfields such as
Borkum EDWR,
Juist EDWJ
Norderney EDWY
Langeoog EDWL
Wangerooge EDWG

are all very busy in the summer, with thousands of movements over the holiday season. My home field of Leer-Papenburg EDWF is also very frequented during nice weather (with many of those flying to the islands stopping here). During winter this looks quite different of course, with the islands often fogged in and thus unreachable for GA traffic (none have instrument procedures).

As for the rest of Germany I lack the experience, but Egelsbach EDFE must be one of the busiest GA airfields (basically acting as the GA version of EDDF)

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Here is US top 10 GA Airport ranked by movements for 2015

1 DVT Phoenix Deer Valley, AZ………………….. 373,401
2 APA Centennial Airport, CO……………………..286,763
3 LGB Long Beach, CA……………………………278,047
4 PRC Ernest A. Love Field, AZ………………….268,283
5 TMB Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport, FL… 264,301
6 SEE Gillespie Field, CA………………………… 229,517
7 CHD Chandler Municipal Airport, AZ………….. 222,428
8 MYF Montgomery Field Airport, CA…………… 220,677
9 VNY Van Nuys, CA………………………………..219,279
10 DAB Daytona Beach, FL………………………. 213,345

50 EMT El Monte Airport, CA……………………… 116,539

?? UZA Rock Hill- York County, SC……………….. 46,000 My little non Towered airport

KUZA, United States

Those are amazing numbers, by European standards!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Those are amazing numbers, by European standards

In terms of airborne traffic density, more so when considering that some of them are close to each other and the traffic interacts. For example, numbers 6 and 8 in the US GA list (MYF and SEE) are eight miles apart, and five other similarly busy commercial and military airports (SAN, NKM, NZY, SDM and MMTJ) are located similar distances from the center of that group of seven. The combined total is something like 1,000,000 movements per year (2700 per day) within a circle of about 15-20 miles diameter.

A similar situation exists in Phoenix, for example number 1 and 7 (DVT and CHD) are 29 miles apart, with the main Phoenix commercial airport in between. The total is over 1,000,000 per year for those three and there are about five additional airports in the area.

And then there’s Los Angeles…. with something like thirty four airports including two in the top ten list for GA.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 18 Mar 03:20
Sign in to add your message