Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Top ten (twenty?) busiest GA airfields in your country?

MedEwok wrote:

Except Hildesheim none of these are in Northern Germany which doesn’t seem right to me.

Happens when you ask a Southern German for input who considers all steering courses between 290° and 160° to be a complete waste of time

For this to be effective, the airport facilities should be familiar to have a chance that flyers actually end up on display.

Thank you all.

I have today mailed Switzerland, Austria and Germany, as per the posts from the last few days. It will be interesting to see the results…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

MedEwok wrote:

Except Hildesheim none of these are in Northern Germany which doesn’t seem right to me

EDAZ, EDAY ?

Leer is fine, but a club airport, which has not been that busy when I visited.
Heringsdorf may be busy, but not an easy place to leave the leaflets for pilots.
Same for Sierksdorf…
Same for Stade…

Rather than whinging and looking for excuses – how about adding some yourself ?
Where did you notice several planes when you landed there recently ?

:-)

And yes, just in terms of weather, why fly North if you can have the Alps and the Med ?
;-)

EDM_, Germany

Sending leaflets to aeroclubs (France, Germany, Sweden, Norway) has produced absolutely zero new signups. One can speculate as to why – example – but in the end international postage is not cheap enough and we don’t have advertising to fund it Hence I want to send them to airports which have a literature rack or something like that and which have pilots passing through them.

When pilots have physically left some leaflets at well known GA places, that worked well, and that is the best way, and I do it when I get a chance, but for some reason people here have lost interest in doing it.

Heringsdorf has nowhere to leave anything. I flew via there to Peenemunde in 2013.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

EDTL Lahr
Ever have been there? In your speak this would be “a dump in the middle of nowhere” ;-)

I would add EDNH Bad Woerishofen Nord. Grass airfield in western Bavaria with vibrant GA activity and a lot of based airplanes – always busy when I am there. Seems to catch a lot of the Munich folks, as it is less than an hour motorway-only drive from the city’s west end.

Last Edited by tschnell at 09 Nov 21:49
Friedrichshafen EDNY

I don’t know anything about EDTL – I got that list in post #47 from another pilot here and have never been to any of them. The Swiss list in post #7 I am much more familiar with

Actually I am surprised that e.g. nobody mentioned Dortmund EDLW. It has a huge hangar full of SEPs. Clearly there is a lot of GA traffic, and there must be others in that category. I wonder if there is a tribal issue like there is all over the UK i.e. the “broad forum community” ritually hates the bigger airports while the pilots based there are quietly grateful for having such a great facility… ILS and wide opening hours, and costing little – about €40, IIRC.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

I wonder if there is a tribal issue like there is all over the UK i.e. the “broad forum community” ritually hates the bigger airports while the pilots based there are quietly grateful for having such a great facility

Another conspiracy theory?

I think you should look at how likely your parcel is going to end up directly in the trash. Highly likely for large organizations like EDLW, less likely for smaller airfields that are not organized like a business.

Depends on who it is addressed to. And that is a real issue.

I always found the people at EDLW very friendly.

I always say to the staff that EuroGA is an organisation of many pilots and we do fly-ins to many airports. They are always receptive to leaving the leaflets somewhere.

Administrator

ch.ess wrote:

Leer is fine, but a club airport, which has not been that busy when I visited.

It’s a very popular fuel stop for island commuters/day-trippers…

Last Edited by Patrick at 10 Nov 09:43
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick wrote:

It’s a very popular fuel stop for island commuters/day-trippers…

Which is why I went there twice incl. the zero landing when fuelling.
Still – when I was there in winter, no traffic on both occasions.

For me that’s a plus (queue at the pump, like occasionally in Wels or Schärding, is not my favourite pastime), but I felt it did not meet Peter’s criterion.

At some stage we must bump into each other at EDLE.
Been there again, but again on short notice (30/31 October).

EDM_, Germany
Sign in to add your message