Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Tips for the Bordeaux area

I am in the process of moving from the Czech republic to the Bordeaux area, I have heard feedback on terrible road traffic etc in the region and I am looking for insight or feedback on where to base my plane (Mooney M20J), preferably paved runway.
I am looking for a good community and a good club ( I speak the language – with an Irish accent of course) so that is a factor.

@Bordeaux_Jim will be your man to help you.
If you want IFR, then Merignac (LFBD) is your only option, but I am sure it will be very expensive and problematic.
IF VFR is OK, but you want a hard surface runway, then Leognan Saucats (LFCS) is your very best option. Bordeaux_Jim is based there and will sure be able to help you.

If you are merely in the Bordeaux “area”, then some other airfield might also be an option, such as Arcachon or Libourne.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Dec 11:02
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Definitely check out Leognan LFCS, it is what you look for.

LFOU, France

Leognan Saucats has the best club then? – any feedback on Libourne, I was looking to live on the east side of Bordeaux (Cubzac les Ponts) which would be the same distance to Libourne and Saucats but I thought the traffic would be easier for Libourne.

Saucats has many clubs, and fuel is cheap.
Libourne I don’t know but @Jojo is our local expert !

LFOU, France

@jojo and @Bordeaux_Jim
if you know of anybody looking for a share in a plane in the Bordeaux region I have an ad in the classifieds

https://www.euroga.org/classifieds

@aidanf123
I think you’re right about the traffic being easier in the direction of Libourne (LFDI) rather than Bordeaux-Saucats (LFCS).

The runway at Libourne is longer than the shortish runway (800 m) at Saucats, so you may feel more comfortable with that, although there are a couple of Mooneys operating out of Saucats.

Libourne also has PCL runway lighting, which may be a factor in your decision.

Libourne is very quiet, Saucats has 2 large clubs, gliders, aerobatics and is close to the Bordeaux CTR.

Your final choice may be impacted by hangar availability, of course. At Libourne, in addition to the traditional aeroclub, there’s now a new private club with good facilities and hangar space. Maybe worth contacting them? PM me for detaiils if you’re interested.

Bordeaux

I am often in that area.Look also to Jonzac,they are building a new concrete runway,and i think with night flight and … IFR. .About Saucats,many activities such gliders,etc…Arcachon has a pcl but night flight is only for the members of the club.
Grass airfields (LFDU) Saint Laurent has a runway 900 m x 60 m with possible night flight with solar lights.Or Andernos also grass (near the bassin d’Arcachon).Make your choice.

LFDU, Belgium
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message