Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Basel LFSB

Frans wrote:

but high fees?

Yes, you are right @Frans, the notion of what is high, affordable, or cheap widely differs on this forum. For me, landing at LSZR is 1/3rd more expensive than say comparable fields such as LSGS, LSGL, LSZS, LSZG, etc.
So for me only, rather high fees and I’d rather spend my €€€ or CHF on Mogas than on landing fees 😉

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

LSZR is great. Exactly the opposite of the braindead crowd normally running airports. Friendly, efficient and pro-active. And when landing at LSZR with GA it is possible to hop right into their beautiful E170 Jet to LOWW for a special reduced fare price.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Dan wrote:

Restrictive operating hours, rather high fees, no thanks.
Restrictive opening hours yes, but high fees? Up to 1400 kg MTOW, definitely no.
LSZR does not charge handling, winter, or passenger fees for aircrafts up to 3t MTOW. Additionally, parking during the day is free of charge, you only pay per night. And LSZR also doesn’t have an additional international surcharge.

Landing fees do increase fast from 1.500 kg MTOW upwards, but are still reasonable up to 3.000kg MTOW.
Fees can be reviewed here.
Last Edited by Frans at 22 Apr 09:53
Switzerland

Middle of nowhere? Compared to LFSB? Really? Not much more for a taxi from LSZR to St Gallen or Romanshorn than LFSB to Basel HB. Train to Zurich HB is the same time in any case. And the big airport time and hassle overhead of LFSB is missing at LSZR. Sure, compared to Birrfeld LSZF it is expensive, but I believe the OP wants an IFR airfield and LFSB costs a lot more. The only real nuisance at LSZR with opening hours is the mid-day closure. If the destination is more central, then Berne LSZB (or Grenchen LSZG) are good options, and I believe options are what the OP was seeking. At the end of the day, opinions are just that. Each pilot has her own priorities, draws her own conclusions, and makes (and lives with) her own choices. For me, I wrote off Basel LFSB when they charged me €150 for the shuttle from the GAC to the terminal and back for customs (which was close enough to walk), alone (no pax), one minute ride.

LSZK, Switzerland

LSZR Altenrhein/St Gallen isn‘t being suggested

Restrictive operating hours, rather high fees, no thanks.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Sure, but the airport is a long way from St. Gallen city. In that regard, whilst in a beautiful setting, it is still in the middle of nowhere.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I wonder that LSZR Altenrhein/St Gallen isn‘t being suggested for IFR access to Switzerland. It is super-friendly, IFR and POE with C&I. It is privately owned and run by Peoples Airline that just operates a couple scheduled flights to/from Austria per day. It is popular with the private jet crowd, but is also very accessible to GA except during AERO and WEF. No handling is required and it‘s just a few steps through the „terminal“ to the outside entrance. There‘s hourly fast train service from St Gallen and Romanshorn to Zürich and beyond. The trip to Zürich HB is an hour.

See here and here.

Last Edited by chflyer at 19 Apr 13:03
LSZK, Switzerland

Thanks guys, any estimate on the fees? Any gotchas?

Qualified PPL with IR SP/SE PBN
EGSG, United Kingdom

I have nearly the same problem and thinking about Birrfeld (LSZF). They have a good website, close to Zurich, hard runway. The downside, they are VFR only.

EDWF, Germany

… if you want to park on the Swiss side (and pay the fees). If you want to park on the French side (not totally cheap either), you need to contact [email protected] and [email protected]

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
23 Posts
Sign in to add your message