Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Question for the Greek experts

Why would that matter to her? Why would she care?

always learning
LO__, Austria

Emir wrote:

My experience with LGKR and LGKF handlers is that they are totally useless,

The problem is that Handling companies do not provide EXTRA staff to handle GA traffic.
So when you fly to airports during days that they have A LOT of airline traffic (mainly charters, A LOT of charters) with an airport operation working at 95+ % of capacity you are bound to face delays from handlers who will serve you as soon as they finish the embarkation/disembarkation of airline passengers. THIS is the problem.

Places to consider a definite delay during the peak summer period (June to August) are the popular tourist destinations … LGKR LGKF LGZA LGSK LGIR LGSA LGRP LGKO LGSM. You must simply take for granted in that period that you will spend something like an hour at the airport until take off.

Example: few years ago when I wanted to fly off from LGKR next early morning for EDMS Straubing, I landed the afternoon before with the task to top up tanks before leaving the airport for the night. The refueler told me that the earliest he could serve me would be at 23:30 L.
I could see he was honest because there were a dozen of airliners at the ramp doing the evening turnaround and he was all alone on the JET-A1 bowser operation.
We went off to town for dinner, drove back before midnight, refueled without waiting since the airliners were all gone, I spent the night at the cheap hotel at walking distance from the terminal and at 07:00 next morning I was taking off on schedule.

It was an irritating experience but mission was accomplished with, how they call it, tongue in cheek ?

Last Edited by petakas at 02 Oct 17:35
LGMG Megara, Greece

She charged for every pilot requiring Customs €40 a taxi fare to the airport. So if 20 pilots turned up, she got €800, while sitting there the whole time.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

She would pocket the 800€, that would be a crime?!?

I had a good experience in LGKR during airline rush hour in summer. Handling led us past all pax waiting at security and swiftly got us to the plane.
Summer 2019, cost around 150€ for a nightstop.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

She would pocket the 800€, that would be a crime?!?

They (customs officers) don’t pocket it. An official receipt is issued as far as I remember and the money goes to national customs.
Handler pays them via your total payment of all fees to the handler.

If they were scheduled to be there (for airlines) – and are there – during your transfer they should not charge but … nobody (of us) knows whether they came there just for us or were going to be there already due to commercial or other GA flights. This is the only information gap that always remains a mystery …

LGMG Megara, Greece

My question was concerning @Peter ‘s 800€ story.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Handling led us past all pax waiting at security and swiftly got us to the plane.

That’s absolutely normal for any airport I’ve ever been to. Zero waiting in any line – customs, immigration or security – on arrival or departure.

The problem is that Handling companies do not provide EXTRA staff to handle GA traffic.
So when you fly to airports during days that they have A LOT of airline traffic (mainly charters, A LOT of charters) with an airport operation working at 95+ % of capacity you are bound to face delays from handlers who will serve you as soon as they finish the embarkation/disembarkation of airline passengers. THIS is the problem.

No, that’s not the problem. The problem is that they charge for the service they don’t deliver. If I pay €300 for handling then I expect to be treated accordingly. I don’t care whether handler has special employees for GA or not because I’m paying almost the same amount as CAT charter. And I don’t care if they have to pay something to arrange refueling for me at agreed time.

E.g. for €300 at LOWW (and you can’t say that it has less traffic than average Greek destination) I get to the aircraft though special GA terminal, no hassle immigration, pre-oredered refueling truck waiting for me (on arrival or departure). And that is pretty similar at many airports across Europe for much lower handling cost (below €100).

I like Greece, I like super-friendly Greek people but overpriced and non-delivered services are something that can’t be defended with excuse of too much work and inappropriate working conditions set by employers.

Last Edited by Emir at 02 Oct 20:41
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

overpriced and non-delivered services are something that can’t be defended with excuse of too much work and inappropriate working conditions set by employers.

100% agree

always learning
LO__, Austria

Emir wrote:

The problem is that they charge for the service they don’t deliver. If I pay €300 for handling then I expect to be treated accordingly. I don’t care whether handler has special employees for GA or not because I’m paying almost the same amount as CAT charter.

@Emir, that has always bothered me with handling.
Have you ever tried to get a detailed breakdown of services provided? What IS included?
IIRC there is IATA handing description, at least for some airports.

EGTR

Usually the bill specifies airport fees (landing and parking), customs&immigration (if charged additionally), passenger fees, slot arrangement fees, and some minor stuff (centralized infrastructure and fee for passengers with disabilities) but handling is always just one number

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message