Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW fly-in mid February 2022, and ski to somewhere near by

Emir wrote:

The 3rd weekend is also ok, weather permitting but I’d avoid last weekend in February because of Carnival holidays in Italy.

As for the February calendar, some schools have a week off from the 21st (one of my children), but most close the following week (the other child). So last “quiet” weekend should be the 12-13th

Antonio
LSZA - LILV, Italy

Still here grounded in the fog :-((((
I used to sky a lot in Val d’ Aosta around 20 years ago, when i was young and skied all day long as fast as i can.
I remember Cervinia as a long and boring slope while Monterosa ski area has a lot of them and you could also do some ski touring.
Sky paradise is here in Dolomiti and back in my thirties

Last Edited by ormazad at 26 Jan 12:07
Pegaso airstrip, Italy

AntonioD wrote:

Ciao Emir, the three Monterosa’s valleys (Alagna, Gressoney and Champoluc) are connected via cablecar (unless strong wind) and slopes, so you can ski everywhere no matter where you start from.

I didn’t realize that looking at the map. Thanks.

AntonioD wrote:

As for the February calendar, some schools have a week off from the 21st (one of my children), but most close the following week (the other child). So last “quiet” weekend should be the 12-13th

Thanks! This is great info.

ormazad wrote:

paradise is here in Dolomiti and back in my thirties

Paradise is everywhere in thirties looking from fifties or sixties

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Hi everyone,
Aosta airport is a great airports and also offers hangar recover if needed, price is good. They are very good and they try to make a good impression so they are available to organize transport to Cervinia.
Cervinia is the best place to ski in the west of the alps. In Cervinia there are many kilometres of slopes and it is also possible to ski on the north side of the Alps (Switzerland), for this you need a day pass a little more expensive but for those who have never been it is a wonderful experience.
If someone does not ski, they can spend the day in the village of Cervinia, in Aosta (very beautiful and full of excellent restaurants) or in the huts with solarium next to the ski slopes.

I suggest you eat (and drink) on the Italian side … Swiss are great people but the Italians cook and drink better! LOL

Have a good fun!
diego

LILE, Italy

Cervinia is the best place to ski in the west of the alps.

I got similar feedback from few people and my impression from last month skiing is pretty much the same.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

and it is also possible to ski on the north side of the Alps (Switzerland), for this you need a day pass a little more expensive but for those who have never been it is a wonderful experience.

How difficult is the ski route to Zermatt? I’ve been to that crossing (one can get there as a non skier, via lifts) but could not see the full extent of it.

I also heard that the Swiss close that pass early in the afternoon.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Aosta LIMW from the UK no oxygen, no pressurerization, no IR, no FIKI seems very iffy / tricky when it comes to them there hills.
Anybody got a ‘standard’ VFR route (waypoints etc.) from the West / North West that just might do the trick ?

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Perfectly doable, because one isn’t going to be going unless the wx is good (clear LIMW webcams on the morning of the flight, for a start). For some VFR advice, see here.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

WarleyAir wrote:

Aosta LIMW from the UK no oxygen, no pressurerization, no IR, no FIKI seems very iffy / tricky when it comes to them there hills.
Anybody got a ‘standard’ VFR route (waypoints etc.) from the West / North West that just might do the trick ?

VFR would be via the Grand San Bernard route, which requires 9500 ft AMSL. Not exactly oxygen territory.

From NW you could use the waypoints REVLI, which is north of the Lake of Geneva. Then aim for the eastern tip of lake Geneva, follow the Valais to the south to Martigny and then follow the pass to AOSTA waypoint visually. You can climb to FL075 initially (Geneva TMA) and once out of it leasurely to 9500 or a bit higher.

Clearly for someone not accustomed to alpine flying this requires CAVOK and light winds..

If the weather is perfect and you can climb to 13-14k ft, you can also do the scienic thing and fly from the tip of lake Geneva in direction Matterhorn (which will be clearly visible from that altitude) and then turn slightly right. Loosing altitude will be a bit of an issue there but at least you can hook off the pic of Monte Toblerone :)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

For others VFR routes see my post #83 in the thread above mentioned by Peter.

Antonio
LSZA - LILV, Italy
Sign in to add your message