Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aosta LIMW fly-in mid February 2022, and ski to somewhere near by

The forecasts for the region seem to be pretty precise with day or two offset here and there at maximum. Three weeks of sun are ending and some new snow will fall next week and maybe next Saturday. After that is too far to predict but could be sunny again.

Since nobody voted for the first weekend in February, we’re aiming to the second one. It’s too early to observe the weather but I like following the trends and accuracy of previous forecasts.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I planned a flight to Samedan this Sunday so I hope snow will wait until Monday :)
Then I’ll be again in Italy the second week of Feb and I could spend it near LIMW, joining you.
And in between my Italian visits it can snow and snow and snow! ;)
It’s a real shame last year everything (skiing related) was closed and there was a LOT of snow, and this year it’s hardly white on the slopes…

EHLE LIMB, Netherlands

The slopes at Cervinia are all good. They have been bulldozing snow from off-piste onto the pistes, to keep them covered. They have not so far been using artificial snow AFAICT. And more snow is on its way.

Off-piste is mostly no good now, but looking at how many people have broken legs off-piste, I wouldn’t be flying GA

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I planned a flight to Samedan this Sunday so I hope snow will wait until Monday :)

Yes, the snow is waiting until Monday.

Last Edited by Emir at 29 Jan 07:39
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Both the group and forum are pretty silent as usual. However, as dates are approaching, we have to decide where and when.

There were several good proposals here on different locations but nobody, who expressed willingness to participate, was vocal about particular location. I believe that Aosta LIMW is the easiest one in context of friendliness, pricing, distance from ski resorts and traveling restrictions, so it will be LIMW and Cervinia 2nd time.

Although the weather will be great this weekend, nobody voted for it, so it will be the next one: February 11-13. Of course, it’s weather dependent and although it’s still too early for reliable forecast, it looks like new period of stable weather is coming to the area after some snow forecasted for this week.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

WarleyAir wrote:

Aosta LIMW from the UK no oxygen, no pressurerization, no IR, no FIKI seems very iffy / tricky when it comes to them there hills.
Anybody got a ‘standard’ VFR route (waypoints etc.) from the West / North West that just might do the trick ?

I, too, was unsure about how possible this would be VFR and without O2. I flew the VFR route that @Mooney_Driver describes (and others detail in the thread Peter linked to) for the first time on the January fly-to-ski trip and found it very straightforward reaching a maximum altitude of 10,600 ft over the Great St Bernard Pass. Coming back was easy too, including a VFR transit of the Geneva Class C TMA from the Eastern end of Lake Geneva to DINOX just across the French border at FL080 due to an overcast below me precluding a descent after the Alps crossing (there were some posts in this thread suggesting that such a clearance might be hard to obtain from Geneva Information, but I had no trouble on the day).

As others have said, check for a CAVOK day at Aosta by looking at the webcams, and you’ll be fine.

EGTF, United Kingdom

Since I’m an optimist, I choose to trust these early forecast that show totally sunny and CAVOK weekend February 11-13 at Aosta. I might fly even earlier there, work schedule permitting.

Last Edited by Emir at 01 Feb 13:44
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I especially like this weather site – usually the most optimistic forecasts

https://www.weather-forecast.com/locations/Aosta/forecasts/latest

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

It seems that this Sunday will bring some new snow to the area while the next one is too far for precise forecast although next Friday looks flyable.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Wed 9th Feb looks good right now.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message