Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LFMN Nice Cote d'Azur

On 31st December the DGAC issued pretty detailed guidance on how BASA will work in France

I guess this one? I will have a detailed read, thanks !

Conversion DGAC

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Mar 08:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

BASA has replaced the old local endorsement of an FAA certificate. It doesn’t exist any more.

As for Orbifly… be careful. PM me if you want to know more. Let’s just say, don’t count on it.

On 31st December the DGAC issued pretty detailed guidance on how BASA will work in France. Just Google DGAC Basa and you’ll find it.

Last Edited by johnh at 12 Mar 23:21
LFMD, France

For validation, of FAA to fly EASA F-reg aircraft (SR22 F-ABCD), see here https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/88iFormlic.pdf

For French old conversion, see here

https://www.ecologie.gouv.fr/sites/default/files/92iFormlic.pdf

There is the new BASA agreement to convert FAA PPL but some people knows this better (no idea if it works for CPL?), so far the DGAC are holding their guidance on this

To fly N-reg with FAA, I suggest you meet someone at Cannes? if you are visitor, you should be able to fly them without any paperwork as long as the owner is happy…

Worth checking if you are allowed to fly non-EASA F-reg aircraft (PA18 F-ABCD) with FAA papers, the answer was yes 3 years ago

Local copies of above:
88iFormlic_pdf
92iFormlic_pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Mar 21:59

A suitable search – example – yields some results, such as this.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IIRC you used to be able to get a dispensation from the DGAC to fly F reg on FAA licence for a limited period of time, like a vacation. It might be worth an email to one of the DSACs. I’ve always found them very helpful.
Remember with most clubs you would also have to join the FFA at €75 without Info Pilote. This will cover a small life insurance policy plus a get you home service and cover the club to be able to recover the plane or send an engineer to get it.

France

Thanks everyone for the excellent suggestions – I’m amazed by the response, thank you! I’ve now reached out to a few additional Cannes aeroclubs as well as the intriguing suggestion from Greg re: Orbifly.fr

Please don’t ever hesitate to contact me if I can ever be of assistance on flying in US/Canada or anything Cirrus-related.

Merci!

Cirrus-driver
KSDL, United States

You can also join Orbifly. They are based in Avignon but they often go down to Cannes. Alexandra Zainal has a ton of FAA qualifications and does ME/SE/IR, in the region.
They will be able to help you I think.
https://www.orbifly.fr/index.php?mode=bases&lang=FRA

Last Edited by greg_mp at 12 Mar 20:02
LFMD, France

Worth checking but I recall DGAC does allow one to fly some F-reg vintage aircraft (they are called Annex2 like Cubs & Jodels but not Cirrus) on FAA PPL but limited to inside French airspace only

If you are not French resident, you can rent & fly N-reg (Cirrus or Cubs) on your FAA PPL, surely you can find few around by talking to owners, however, if you are French resident, you can’t fly N-reg on FAA papers past Jun22 deadline and this is not going to be extended

You may want to get in touch with someone at Orbifly, I am sure they can give some pointers

Good luck & bienvenue !

Last Edited by Ibra at 12 Mar 16:59

In addition to Aeroclub Cannes, there’s also Aeroclub d’Antibes and UACA.

Let me see what I can figure out.

LFMD, France

Thanks @arj1 for flagging John!

@johnh Thanks for your message. If I can do any type of flying at all (instructional, pleasure non-instructional, IFR, VFR, whatever) it would really make my trip. So even if the instruction with the 172 doesn’t work out I’d be beyond grateful to join you flying. At home I’m used to flying 3-4 times per week, so I’d be sad to be grounded during our entire trip.

My French is functional enough that I could probably make it work with an instructor that speaks zero English. If the instructor speaks even a tiny bit of English, then I think our “Venn diagram” circles will overlap more than adequately.

(I tried Aéroclub Cannes, but they have no availability, but I will try some of the other clubs. I’d be happy to pay their membership as I expect to be in Cannes 2-3x per year… hopefully eventually with my SR22 if I can get some reasonable insurance to bring it from North America)

Last Edited by Todd_C at 12 Mar 16:45
Cirrus-driver
KSDL, United States
34 Posts
Sign in to add your message