Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

YLL on Tour...

Ibra wrote:

You should have another RV in formation for your camouflage album or “find Willy or Charlie” pictures?

Next time

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

“geez man, and that f…..g meteorite almost hit the carpark!”

LOL!

I’m speechless, what a great report and what an experience. Thanks a bunch and keep it coming!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Then follows a successful freight train strafing mission, which has been duly classified

Heading towards today’s destination, the landscape is once more (I’m now having trouble finding enough adjectives or expletives to describe what I’m seeing, so I will now leave some space for you the reader to fill-in as needed) ………, and ………, and even more ……… Maybe even ………

Last Edited by Dan at 01 Sep 09:53
Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Thunderstorms are slowly forming to the North, and the GNX paints some of them…

Page city, and it’s airport

YLL on the ramp

The tie-down ritual performed, and the FBO’s owner is kind enough to give me a ride to the motel.
I wait for the heat to abate some before taking a hike around the perimeter of the city. I was last there some 30 years ago (…), and the city has sure evolved into a neater place than what it used to be then

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

You are providing excellent evidence for what I always tell people about visiting the US. The interesting bits are all far from civilization! People make the mistake of going to NYC or (worse) LA. But it’s flyover territory that has the spectacular scenery you won’t find in Europe.

EHRD, Netherlands

Hmm. Snow, water and ice I can relate to, and survive in. But this desert landscape stretching as far as the eye can see. In a case of emergency, how would one go about surviving? I imagine 50+ degrees, and getting baked by the sun.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@LeSving when flying over desert it’s a good idea to carry at least 2 gallons of water, and not a bad idea to know where paved roads are located – there are more roads than one might imagine, as well as a fair number of airports paved and otherwise. Also a good idea to stay high, where it’s also cooler except in case of an inversion. 7500 to 10,500 is safer than down low, better radio and ADS-B reception if needed and longer gliding time/distance.

The best time to be in the desert is anytime except summer, German tourists enjoying Death Valley in August notwithstanding. The climate is usually very hot (say over 35 C) for about 3 months a year, July through September, not all year round. Desert nights can be cold in the winter, although not right now. This time of the year is a good time to vacation in Europe instead of the western US (I’ll be doing so starting next week). October comes soon enough and is maybe the nicest month of the year to be closer to home.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Sep 14:32

Dan wrote:

pproaching the Grand Canyon, one has to stay outside the GCN SFRA (Grand Canyon Special Flight Rules Area). Access to the Canyon itself has been blocked many years ago for different reasons.

Well, not quite. The canyon has been divided into prescribed routes. The airtour guys have one set, GA has another. Essentially you can cross the canyon at several places (called ‘corridors) at prescribed altitudes. The only thing that’s really ‘verboten’ is to descend below the rim.

Anyway, fantastic report, keep it coming !!

Dan wrote:

Says the airline captain to his copilot whilst overflying the crater: “geez man, and that f…..g meteorite almost hit the carpark!”

Says the American tourist flying back home out of Heathrow as he looks out of the window “geez, why did the King and Queen of England build Windsor Castle so close to the airport, must be kinda noisy!”

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

Day 23
KPGA Page Muni – 5V5 Shiprock Muni – KLXV Lake County

Early in the day, the Ts have abated, and the walk to the airport is short. Punching in the code whilst trying to jump the gate which is 2m away, before it locks again, is one of the small puzzles making such a day interesting
As I take-off, the sun just about starts to caress the higher peaks around Lake Powell, the views are ………, or even ………, dare I say ………

I now head East, thru the Rainbow Bridge National Monument, enroute to yet another POI…

Now my track over Monument Valley will look as erratic as the ant looking for food on my garden table

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message