Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuel at Cannes LFMD

Thanks for the clarifications!

EHLE, EDLS, Netherlands

It’s Y on arrival and Z on departure, just anything to prevent Jets in the TMA/CTR in VFR tracks.
For the Cannes-based jets (less than a tens regular), they could accept because they know plane and pilots, and there will be no surprise when asking any special stuff.
That last one is mainly because Nice and Cannes share the same TMA, managing a clearance delivery when there are 20 buses arriving in sequence in Nice, is just not possible in rush time. It’s yet complex just to check-in.
All the more that VFR departure at 1000ft are crowded by pistons (80-120kn), ULM just passing by (60-80kn), there are a lot of heli also (between 500 and 1500, and not always on the radio). Managing a clearance delivery while looking outside at 200kn is just dangerous. And franckly speaking, SIDs from Cannes and Nice are never done completely, they always give you the best direct whenever possible. The only shitty thing is the departing slot in summer time, in addition to airspace congestion.

If you want to trick that, you can leave VFR from Cannes to Cuers (25min flight West, LFTF) or even Fayence (10min WNW, LFMF), and make a Z FPL from there.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 28 Jan 18:56
LFMD, France

Do you have any source for this? Like greg_mp said, during summer the NOTAM simply says Y fpl prohibited, without stating such exceptions…

Airport AIP/VAC, the Zulu restriction is all year around…for Yankee, you get more of this stuff in AIP_SUP, NOTAMS during busy season

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Jan 18:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Yes restrictions have to do with Nice capacity (they only apply to VFR-IFR and IFR-VFR transition in Nice and Rodez sectors for flights in or out of Cannes)

Do you have any source for this? Like greg_mp said, during summer the NOTAM simply says Y fpl prohibited, without stating such exceptions…

EHLE, EDLS, Netherlands

I am sure there was some abuse behind it…in a “slotted airport” getting fuel on arrival is “obligatoire”, managing departure slots while running after fuel is an easy way to grow grey hair at 20 years old

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Jan 16:35

I fpl and cancel ifr is the way to go, but from what I’ve been told, ban of Y fpl is in summer season for jets that have wrong manner of finishing VFR between the summer piston traffic in order to speed landing up and avoid arrival slots. I’m not telling it’s good or bad, but just a manner to ensure “not too many jets in the CTR when you have 8 flight school pistons in the pattern. They don’t really know how to manage that kind of peak traffic.

Last Edited by greg_mp at 28 Jan 16:31
LFMD, France

I don’t think that is an issue, you have an IFR departure slot, you takeoff IFR and cancel it later, no one cares…it’s when you depart VFR to pick IFR airborne in Nice sector that is prohibited (you do this as filing IFR require an AD takeoff slot), same for arrival on Yankee (as India arrival require a landing slot)

It’s a funky restriction in their busy season…

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Jan 16:04

So if you want to depart IFR and later switch to VFR, what’s to stop you filing I-FPL and then just cancelling IFR at the appropriate point? Or will that get the Eurocontrol thought police after you?

LFMD, France

Yes restrictions have to do with Nice capacity (they only apply to VFR-IFR and IFR-VFR transition in Nice and Rodez sectors for flights in or out of Cannes)

Last Edited by Ibra at 28 Jan 15:45

IIRC, the Cannes restrictions are really driven by Nice which is really aggressive. They show zero tolerance and zero co-operation – very unusual for France.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
33 Posts
Sign in to add your message