Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Day trip to Amiens (LFAY)

This thread made me think, how to spend some “quality time” with the kid? let’s fly !

https://www.euroga.org/forums/hangar-talk/14588-flying-and-family-pressure

I always look for destination that kids would love for day out in car or airplane (no wife, leave the other half to their owns), this time, I decided to go to Amiens (LFAY) as it’s nice place with long instrument runway to keep crosswind skills and also get the kid to play in one of the attractions nearby. The plan was to take care of the aircraft: washing airframe, cleaning inside and fixing some minor stuff: plugs, battery…I decided to skip washing the aircraft as it’s 0C OAT outside

Fuel at Rouen (LFOP), takes ages with World Fuels and slightly more expensive than Total Card, I am still wondering who went to the pump that morning, I saw VL3 or WT9 parked in front of pump, I know the guys are efficient but 7L uplift, you gotta be kidding, I hope they is plenty left for takeoff after engine checks

I filed IFR on next day (never use the date on my watch), so I departed VFR as it was CAVOK but windy with 45kts headwinds at 4000ft, Amiens is Air-To-Air, I asked one DR400 traffic on frequency which runway is active and he told me he is not landing as it’s too much crosswind and he will fly back to St Omer, landing was on full crosswind but it was silk smooth on final

The AD restaurant at LFAY was closed, online it states lunch between 1200LT-1400LT and drinks outside those hours, it looked closed the whole day: typical Sundays in France, one has to cook for himself the night before their flights !

I visited Kiddy Teuf, it’s one of those places where one has to wear Bose A20: the kids enjoy it

The walk is disappointing though, I was expecting 10min shortcut from LFAY but as it turns out it was 30min walk due to everywhere and not enjoyable with 30kts at 0C OAT for the kid who complained he is not a penguin

Return was quick IFR after sunset, I did not even climb with so much tailwind, flew RNP22 then CTL04 for hand practices

Last Edited by Ibra at 27 Feb 00:56
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks Ibra. I’ll put Kiddy Teuf on my list of places to go. Good to see GA used for real life family-friendly activities.

The mental image of dragging a penguin made me laugh Shame about the shortcut: it looks like it would have cut out half the trek.

Not sure how safe this is, but Aliexpress says no longer available anyway

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Nice, Friday two weeks ago the restaurant was open during lunchtime and they offered a free Espresso for pilots.
Amiens is worth a visit. Nice restaurants on the Quai and the old town with it‘s cathedral is good for a sightseeing walk around, but maybe not with children regarding the mentioned temperature.

EDDS , Germany

Yes the city is nice to visit and good to hear that the restaurant is open !
I gather it’s a nice convenient stop on your way to Brittany

The mental image of dragging a penguin made me laugh Shame about the shortcut: it looks like it would have cut out half the trek. Not sure how safe this is, but Aliexpress says no longer available anyway

That machine looks nice

It’s called “L’Odyssée de Jules”. Pretty good scores according to TripAdvisor. Opening times according to their FB page:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 27 Feb 14:22
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Looks like Friday is the right day for it !

6 Posts
Sign in to add your message