Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs/immigration requirements visiting Ireland

10 Posts

I’m planning a trip to the ROI in a couple of weeks and am having trouble figuring out exactly what’s expected of me in terms of paperwork, notifications & locations.

I’ve a few UK <—> EU trips before, but because of the special status of UK & ROI with the Common Travel Area etc. I’m less sure.

(I’m familiar with UK procedures, it’s specifically the Republic I’m asking about)

Paperwork: I’m aware of an “Irish GAR” form, similar to the UK & EU forms. I’ve only found it so far on various 3rd party websites e.g. airport information pages, and there differences in e.g. email address.

• Is there an official page for this at revenue.ie ?
  • What is the lead time required for this form? For example, Weston says 24hrs but sure if that’s what customs wants or just what the airport wants

Notifications:

• in addition to the above “Irish GAR”, do I need to explicitly request customs & immigration for my arrival? (Like how I would request the Douanes in France etc.)
  • Or is it more like the UK where you submit the form and that’s it?
  • As a UK citizen, does the Common Travel Area alter the above?

Location: this at least partially depends on the answer to the above, but:

I guess all the above boils down to: should I treat Ireland like any other EU country, or are rules more relaxed for CTA travellers?

EGSG, United Kingdom

I’ll bite here. Flying from Stapleford to Ireland.

- File a Flightplan
- File a UK GAR
- File an Irish GAR

You don’t need to request anything. The reality is, Customs in Ireland are monitoring all flight plans/GAR forms. Try coming without either and you can really test them out! If they want to see you, they will be there on arrival. If they don’t – they won’t.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

The reason the original post didn’t get a response is because it scrolled off due to newer posts, and I didn’t get around to promoting it to the home page banners which most people use to find out what is new

Is there a standard “Irish GAR” or is it airport-specific?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

For an Irish GAR, folks use this one here:

https://flyinginireland.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/IrishGARForm.pdf

and email it in.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

Great; I already had that one here and forgot

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks William! Do I still need to enter/exit via an airfield where customs is marked as available in the AIP, even if I’m not directly requesting them?

(For context – our ultimate destination is Donegal, but I’m looking for somewhere on the way as a lunch stop!)

Re. GAR forms – I came across the FlyingInIreland one, but note that it’s from 2016 and the email it gives [email protected] – vs this one from Weston which gives [email protected]. Hence why I was wondering if it’s available from the horse’s mouth somewhere. But a search of revenue.ie only has 1 result for “general aviation”. I thought I might try to get in touch with them during the week, but the phone number they give is only open for 2h30 each day so I am not hopeful 😅 Or I can try emailing the above addresses I suppose.

Last Edited by SteakAndAle at 16 Jul 11:32
EGSG, United Kingdom

I have found that when requesting PPR from any of the larger airports, they want you to email them the GAR form the day before travel. They then deal directly with the Guarda. I have not yet been ramp checked on arrival or departure.

Because Ireland is in the Common Travel Area, I believe that passport stamps are not required. British citizens have the right to live in Ireland and are not limited to 90 days per 180 as for the rest of Europe.

Shorter notification times may be possible on request.

Don’t forget you can claim duty back on fuel uplifted in the UK before departure.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

SteakAndAle wrote:

Do I still need to enter/exit via an airfield where customs is marked as available in the AIP, even if I’m not directly requesting them?

You can fly to and from any farm strip/landing site, going to and returning from the UK, if that answers your question. Abbeyshrule is a good spot to stop and get lunch in the Rustic Inn in the village. I’d use both email addresses so, then they can’t say boo.

If you want a mobile number for one of the Revenue/Customs people who does GA stuff PM me.

Buying, Selling, Flying
EISG, Ireland

WilliamF wrote:

You can fly to and from any farm strip/landing site, going to and returning from the UK, if that answers your question.

And what about if flying from France? Any different? Customs (in the narrow sense) wouldn’t be an issue in that case, but immigration would be. That does not seem to be covered anywhere.

Also, Abbeyshrule IS on that “Type II” list mentioned above. What about using a small strip that is not on that list?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

WilliamF wrote:

You can fly to and from any farm strip/landing site, going to and returning from the UK

Aye, it does – thank you!

Abbeyshrule looks perfect too 👍

EGSG, United Kingdom
10 Posts
Sign in to add your message