Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Video - Aerobatic Flights with HB-YMU

I got my aerobatic rating last year and did some first test videos.

The first one contains only some of the figures of a flight. It was made with a GoPro 3 Black mounted behind the seats which turned out not to be the best position because it captures too much of the shoulders of the pilot and passenger.

The second one contains the full flight from engine start to engine shutdown (it is long but you can always forward and skip the boring bits). It was made with a Mobius cam mounted on the headset (you can see some of my hair at the bottom of the picture during most of the flight). The Mobius has a very good quality for its price. Also I find this point of view very good because it also shows where I look (or at least where I move my head to, not following the eyes).

The voice is not captured on the videos but the flights are from an uncontrolled airfield (LSZF, Birrfeld) and there is nothing interesting going on.

At Friedrichshafen I saw for the first time what the Garmin Vibe can do: measure G forces, show position, speed, direction, etc. It will probably be a very good camera for an aerobatic flight. It seems to be very bulky and heavy though, so I am not sure if I shall invest the money to get one.

The airplane is a Votec V252, HB-YMU, side-by-side two-seater. It’s from a small company in Switzerland building experimental airplanes. I’ve never piloted an Extra but as I understand the Votecs are close to its performance, being able to handle enormous G forces. This is the only aerobatic airplane I’ve flown but I can confirm that it is very nice to fly.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 29 Apr 06:54
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I don’t think you’ll find the Virb bulky. It’s cylindrical so it’s small from behind and it has a neat clip system so you can remove it quickly if you want it out of the way.

A new Virb was announced last week so the original Virb Elite is now quite cheap on Amazon. I paid £195 for the camera, second battery and Bluetooth remote (£42 on its own).

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom
2 Posts
Sign in to add your message