Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meet-up in Sweden, Malmo ESMS

Peter wrote:

I don’t know the current EASA regs (not proposals) on reserves. Does anyone know?
For private flights, that’s in NCO.OP.125. Briefly, for IFR, you need enough fuel to fly to the destination, to the alternate and additionally 45 minutes at cruise altitude. In calculating the enroute fuel, you must take likely contingencies into account, although no specific figure is given.
The question of what reserves are actually sensible, etc, etc, is an entirely different discussion (45 mins is way too little fuel of course). I am just making the point that you are not required to be capable of reaching an infinite series of alternate airports, one after the other.
Of course not. That’s why you should make sure that the alternate is useable as such.
So at the alternate I would declare a mayday if there is any issue. That is, in essence, what AOC operators are required to do (in fact they are required to do it at the destination if the fuel falls below a specific value).
Yes, of course, but planning an alternate which is PPR and then – if being refused to land there – declaring an emergency is not good airmanship IMHO. Having to divert is a normal, if unusual, part of IFR flying. The diversion in itself should not cause an emergency.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

to the alternate and additionally 45 minutes at cruise altitude

45 minutes at 1500ft above the alternate. Particularly bad for turbine aircraft (which need 30 min only). autorouter models all this, including an optional hold setting where you want to put in a very low (= economical) power setting because you want to burn time, not fuel and not cover distance.

Last Edited by achimha at 19 Aug 13:10

That’s why you should make sure that the alternate is useable as such.

You are in no better position to make sure the alternate is more usable than the destination.

Equally, you are in no better position to make sure that the N+1th alternate is more usable than the Nth alternate.

Weather does what it likes.

I agree about PPR in practice (in the same way as diverting to London Gatwick is going to be plastered all over the chat sites and you will get slagged off as a useless incompetent idiot and GA will get a bad name in the press) but in reality you, as the Captain, can divert to anywhere you like, PPR or no PPR, filed or not

One must always keep decisionmaking in the cockpit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

I would file EKRK as alternate. (I haven’t checked the hours, but I’d be surprised if they’re not open when you arrive.)

EKRK are open 24h, so you will not have any issue in using them as diversion. Transport to Malmo is easy, you just need to change train in Copenhagen…..though saying that I think Copenhagen is nicer than Malmo, so why bother :-)

EGTR

achimha wrote:

45 minutes at 1500ft above the alternate.

Yes, that’s what I thought, too. And that’s indeed what EASA says for CAT (AMC1 to CAT.OP.MPA.150).

But part-NCO is specific about 45 minutes at “normal cruising altitude”. Look for yourself in NCO.OP.125! Same for part-NCC.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 19 Aug 14:45
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I am on my way to ESMS tomorrow 0800Z.

Return wx looks really crap though… both Monday and Tuesday look crap. I might have to return Sunday.

Administrator

I departed Shoreham during the 1hr slot prior to the airshow and not long before that horrible Hunter crash happened.

I got some amazing shortcuts. It was a nice day and it looked like the whole thing could be done at FL100 but about halfway I had to go to FL160 to get above some muck. One could have gone underneath it at about FL090 but the viz was poor and it’s best to not get caught in convective stuff, and being above is better than being below and then finding one cannot climb up through it. It was +5C at FL100 and -7C at FL160 so climbing up through any muck would have involved very likely icing.

The track change to the right is due to the assigned STAR for ESMS. They assign it but actually you get vectors anyway at the end. ATC was brilliant… I was offered a 6nm intercept (I like RV ILS because one can get more photos) but then they asked if I could do a Visual Approach because there was a military aircraft trying to get in.

Initially it looked like it might be foggy

but by the time I got to the airport it had dispersed. Here we are the first in the queue to get out

The cliffs of Dover, FL100

This is the muck halfway

Helgoland

Some of many lovely looking little bits of Sweden

Initially I got a DCT DETUS

and then the DETUS1E arrival (speaking from memory) which interestingly was in the old KLN94 GPS

However shortly afterwards it was vectors to the ILS for 17

Malmo city in the haze

Flying by hand so no decent pics of the final approach

You get a Follow Me car

I am definitely staying here tomorrow to meet up with more people. The wx looks crap after that so I may be here for a while.

Administrator

Great report and pictures! Nice to finally meet you @Peter and @Martin-ESMI :)

Jonas

ESOW Västerås, Sweden

Peter wrote:

Flying by hand so no decent pics of the final approach

Training or AP mailfunction?

No report on return trip so I guess you’re still there.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

When i departed ESMS 0700 UTC today i noticed a TB20 waiting to line up :)

Last Edited by Jonas at 24 Aug 11:50
ESOW Västerås, Sweden
Sign in to add your message