Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to meet up in 2016?

You should see this piece in the banner:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I did not see it until now. I usually stay on the “Active threads” page and never go to the categories pages.

LFPT, LFPN

I will do a mailing in the next few days, with a backup date proposed for the weekend 2 weeks later.

Administrator

Flyer59 wrote:

It Is very easy to click “Active Threads” and to see what’s going on

Just goes to show – never ever used the “Active Threads” button.
It’s usefulness just didn’t seem to register – I’ll be there now.

Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

You should see this piece in the banner

Think Peter has jusrt added this.
Could be even better if it said:-
“Location under discussion”

That banner has been there for several days. But yes it is visible only if you go to the main Trips & Airports section.

I have just changed the wording to “Location under discussion”.

Administrator

WarleyAir wrote:

Could be even better if it said:-
“Location under discussion”

The grass doen’t grow under Peter’s feet !!

Peter Ive read through 70% of the posts.

Might I suggest that you make calandar 3 events for the year. One to western Europe , one to southern Europe, one either Eastern/Northern Europe. Pick a region with the best weather and use that region for that time of the year. For example Northern Europe would be good for July/August Western Europe France-MayJune, Briton June- July, Southern Europe Sept- Oct Eastern Europe Sept Oct. This gives the best chance of having good weather for the VFR guys and for outdoor activities.

You might want to have a rain date as well. This gives the VFR guys another option. There will of course be days even IFR flight is not possible so its good for them as well. But to be honest its really difficult to plan for 3 days and not have a marginal day with at least one. By having regions you also will get the guys who dont or can’t make 500NM trips but rather more local events join up when you have a fly in to their region.

For me Im happy to go whereever you pick since Im new here and want to explore.

KHTO, LHTL

That’s an interesting idea; thanks…

I wonder if mid-summer is good for many people. Most I know tend to have family holidays, etc. That’s why May and September was picked in the past. Personally, that is also what Justine and I have been doing for our holidays because it avoid the worst crowds, and the hottest temperatures.

Administrator

If you dont have kids that is the best time to get away. Also the cheapest.

Regarding midsummer Holidays maybe people would like to use their planes as a means to an end. That is use the plane to go somewhere for a week then go somewhere else for a week. Just a thought. In the US we were lucky if we got to take 2 weeks off in a row. Teachers of course exempted from that comment. My understanding, that it is not usual to have a month off here.

I wouldnt mind heading north into Scandinavia in either July or Early August for a week since the weather (I think) would be the most benign, Maybe we can get some of the local pilots to help navigate their country for the best places to see and visit. Again just a thought.

But with anything it needs to be preflighted way in advance.

Requirements:
Hotels need to be able to accept last minute or at a minimum 24 hr cancellations without charge.
Places of interest for not only us pilots but others we might be bringing along.
Ground transportation to and from those exciting places.

Airport:

Needs to have hard surface preferably well maintained.
Some type of approach; ILS or equivalent is the best, Non Precision is acceptable.
Reasonable fees. We might just call in advance to arrange a discount for our flying group. Mentioning of course that we Tip well.

I Think having a set date we can then plan. Of course depending on weather. The VFR guys depending on where they are and how far they are will have to play the situation individually. Obviously if a VFR flight is planned and it is 700NM away chances are they will hit some weather either coming or going. I think for them it is most practical if they join an event close enough where they will only experience local weather. That is another good reason to have flyins at various regions. That way most can participate. Which once again goes to advance planning.

These are just suggestions. What do you think?

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message