Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing near Airport Bolzano LIPB

Thanks for the info. How did you find it?

Are those public transport options specially difficult, in some way? Sometimes locating the ticket office is difficult if one can’t speak the local language. But we always managed it eventually.

The 1st and last day are usually wasted anyway, and sitting on a bus is nice to see the scenery.

One problem is if it takes half a day to get back to the airport and the wx is too convective in the afternoon.

Zermatt has a direct train from Zurich, but you pay extra 4 figures for the whole package And Zurich is pricey for GA.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I used

http://www.sii.bz.it/en/siitimetablesquery

and

www.altoadigebus.com

Both sell tickets on the bus. Are they difficult… the only difficult part is hauling your stuff from one bus / train to the other several times over. If you don’t have the proper wheelie skibags it can be a hassle. Not sure i’d wanna do it after a long flight.

There won’t be a direct from Zurich to Zermatt as the rack & pinion train is metric gauge… and I still didn’t quite get why you discount Sion as a landing spot. But anyhoo – Zurich is kinda at the opposite end of the country anyway :-).

Sion is very long way from the Dolomites, surely? Or is there some really good transport option?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Zermatt has a direct train from Zurich

I was commenting on that particular bit. It wouldn’t cross my mind to mention Zurich or Sion as an option for the Dolomites.

Peter wrote:

One problem is if it takes half a day to get back to the airport and the wx is too convective in the afternoon

Convective weather in winter? :-)

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 31 Dec 22:30

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Convective weather in winter? :-)

Yes, why not? Where does the snow come from?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hardly any snow yet – amazing!

http://www.altabadia.org/en/info-service/plan-your-journey/alta-badia-webcam.html

Most of what you see as artificial. Look at the roofs of buildings.

Administrator

Almost no new snow near Bolzano too

http://www.campiglio.it/webcam

and looking at the wx charts there won’t be any coming and there is another High moving in. I was going to fly down this weekend and the wx looks good for it, but with no snow (except the artificial stuff) there isn’t any point.

Administrator

At a basic level, I don’t think you’d even be able to tell the artificial snow so I wouldn’t let that stop you from skiing.
I had epic skiing a couple weeks ago and a large part of it was artificial.
If you want non packed snow it will make a bigger difference but from what I understand you are likely to stay on easy packed snows where you won’t be able to tell.
any resort with a couple green / blues open with packed snows should do for you, as it’s where the learning will concentrate. Unless you are looking for excuses not to go ;)

Unless you are looking for excuses not to go ;)

Flying is like dating… you have a list of “NO-GO” items

This is a good policy, not bad

The people who disregard some items just because it seems OK on the day usually regret it… with dating they will have ample time to regret it, with flying, perhaps very little time….. maybe just a few milliseconds.

Bolzano needs CAVOK to get in. No hangarage, so TKS spray kit (which I have). If it is say -10C then starting might be fun… but this will be the last flight before the engine comes out, anyway. Then I need to get back 3 days later.

It also needs to be basically worth doing, because the whole Bolzano avgas business is flakey, with maybe having to fly back via e.g. Trento (and then a schengen stop at say LFAT). Also a wx diversion for Bolzano is probably Verona which has no avgas and transport to Alta Badia would be about a €250 taxi, each way (I have seen the rates from Verona).

I don’t think you’d even be able to tell the artificial snow

I think it depends on how badly frozen it is…

Administrator

Funnily enough I just got a call from my cousin asking if I’m going skiing this weekend, as apparently big snowfall forecast.

Have to admit I wasn’t seeing from a (flying) weather perspective, I thought you would discard the trip just because the snow is artificial, which would have been sad.

The slope you can see in this picture was very good, even if it hasn’t snowed naturally in a month

Sign in to add your message