Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Best GA airfield near Munich?

I’m afraid I’m now confused by all the ICAO codes instead of airport names:The thread has become unreadable to me. I’ll print it out and scribble airport names on it. In its current form the thread is simply of no help to me.

Thanks for the contributions though. I’m sure there is some good advice in there, once I decipher all the airports mentioned.

Tired Howard

Last Edited by Howard at 03 Jun 19:07
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Howard wrote:

I’m afraid I’m now confused by all the ICAO codes instead of airport names:The thread has become unreadable to me. I’ll print it out and scribble airport names on it. In its current form the thread is simply of no help to me.

Howard, there is only one real ICAO code being used EDNX. Sebastian used the wrong one. EDNX is Oberschleissheim Airport. Augsburg is EDMA but further away. If you can get into EDNX it will be better for you.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks Jason.

Augsburg (EDMA) looks like the easy option, entirely set up for GA aircraft and not in complex airspace, but 45 minutes or so from central Munich.

Oberschleissheim (EDNX) is much closer to Munich as you say, but in more complex airspace, being so close to Munich Airport’s CTR.

The flight from Bielefeld looks remarkably straightforward (and only about 2 hours) I’ll finish my planning in the next few days.

Thanks everyone.

Howard

What I find useful is googling for say

Munich airport ICAO code

and up comes EDDM.

Or Oberschleissheim airport ICAO code

and up comes EDNX.

Ideally people should use both the name (which is frequently ambiguous/uninformative as to location – take the notorious Gloucester / Gloucestershire / Staverton as one example – even if spelt correctly) and the ICAO code. That is why at the top of this forum section is a banner

EDNX cannot be flown to/from the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oberschleissheim is not really in complex airspace, you just have to avoid Munich EDDM CTR. Other than that, it’s rather straightforward. And following the pattern isn’t really hard, either.

Last Edited by EuroFlyer at 03 Jun 21:43
Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Howard wrote:

Oberschleissheim (EDNX) is much closer to Munich as you say, but in more complex airspace, being so close to Munich Airport’s CTR.

It is not that complex. In Germany even VFR flights can get a proper FIS from a RADAR controller. Just have a good moving map (or even map) and review it properly before the flight.

EGTK Oxford
have a good moving map (or even map) and review it properly before the flight.

Which of course all of us do anyway for each and every flight

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Last time I was at Jesenwang EDMJ I was surprised to see a TB20 and some type of Mooney in one of the hangars, maybe a 201 or 231 (?). The runway length is 408 meters and there is a gated public road through the runup area. That says something about the GA airport situation in Munich.

That said, if you have a short runway capable plane and a destination on the west side of Munich, that airport exists. I have a friend based there with a C172 (Reims Rocket)

Last Edited by Silvaire at 04 Jun 05:13

Howard wrote:

I’m afraid I’m now confused by all the ICAO codes instead of airport names

Remind me again Howard, where is EGTR ?

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Fair point @Peter_Mundy. I have amended my profile. :-)

H

Sign in to add your message