Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

achimha wrote:

achimha 24-Nov-15 09:18 #65
Peter wrote:
then you often get a thin layer, say base 1000ft and tops 2000ft, and a Class D airport won’t let you go.
The winter HPA gives blue skies in Southern Germany and the Alps. Typically we get this for 10-14 days in a raw, sometimes several times per season. Also these VFR airfields will not prevent you from taking off in such conditions, 500ft base is legal and they have no way of measuring it.

Skiing with an overcast isn’t nice either, you freeze your [favorite body part] off. What is even worse is skiing inside clouds. That is why I changed my skiiing habits entirely to spontaneous trips in the right weather conditions as opposed to pre-booking months in advance.

Achim I would be interested to know when you decide to go during such periods and where. Nothing beats following someone with experience.

KHTO, LHTL

@AEROPLUS

Hohenems is nice, but no hangarspace available and during the weekend they have no takoffs fron 12-1400. Please check that, I may be wrong, not going there very often due to that break,

Aosta is weird, they wanna be a real airport with all the security blabla because there may be one flight per week to Rome. I am traying to avoid it as well. Chamois in the Val Tourneche is open all Winter, nice Skiing, but you need skis on your plane. Nice vis about Chamois on YTutbe.

EDTQ / Sarentino

@Snowbirdxx

Thanks for the tip!

EDLE, Netherlands

It looks like Villars (opens 6 Dec) is equidistant from Lausanne or Sion airports – about 1hr 30mins by car. Crans Montana doesn’t open till the 19th Dec and my friend has a slot 11-14 Dec.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You’ll be lucky if there’s any decent snow in Villars then.
I’ve mentioned before the very nice train ride from Bex to Villars.
I can also put you in touch with a mountain flying instructor should you find that there is indeed no snow.
Actually, if you have a spare seat, I might join you. I have accommodation available to me very near Villars.

Forever learning
EGTB

I can also put you in touch with a mountain flying instructor should you find that there is indeed no snow

How does that work?

Actually, if you have a spare seat, I might join you. I have accommodation available to me very near Villars.

This time I won’t but maybe next time. Many thanks

Administrator

St gallen or Friedrichshafen are very practical. The first being more expensive.
You drive to st antonn which opens very early (1-1,5 hours drive).

You can always get out of EDNY unless the weather is really to bad.

Annemasse with backup Annecy or Geneva should be good. Good Skiing within 1 hour.

I have finally worked out the relationship of the various places mentioned

Lausanne and Sion are equidistant from Villars, and the Bex to Villars railway gets you from the “main road” to Villars.

Administrator

Crans Montana doesn’t open till the 19th Dec

It will be partially opened on Saturday already.

You could also try Verbier, not too far from Sion and will also open this week-end. But it’s unlikely that Villars will have enough snow.

@Peter just a quick heads-up – there are two ways of reaching Villars – either the cogwheel train from Bex train station, or a coach from Aigle train station.

If you come from Lausanne, the train+coach option is 20 minutes shorter.

I’m very afraid there won’t be much snow though.

Sign in to add your message