Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

One can tell from the websites if there is snow, AFAICT. Are there places already with snow? I am looking at 11 Dec anyway. Also I was looking at one site and it showed 20cm of snow.

A friend flies a jet into Sion a lot and his clients go to Verbier.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You can check the 360 panorama. There are 60cms of snow now, but not sure it’ll hold by then. The ground is quite warm.

PS – Verbier is either for off-piste aficionados (and wannabees) or for “look-at-me” after ski party aficionados. It is… ahem… very British.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 26 Nov 10:26

Is that 360 panorama real time? The URL contains “season=winter” which suggests it is just a fixed winter photo. Also the haze layer has been looking the same all day long.

Administrator

Actually you’re right. There used to be some link to the webcams but now it appears static.

If you want a good webcam of the Villars area use this webcam:

http://villars.roundshot.com/pt-chamossaire/

That webcam is either buggered or it is snowing heavily

I can just about see the outline of what looks like a ski lift tower.

I tried FF and Chrome, and went back in time to 12:30 UTC.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

it is snowing heavily

It is snowing, that picture looks roughly how I would have expected it to look given to current weather forecast.

LSZK, Switzerland

Courchevel seems to open on December 5 and their webcams are here: http://www.courchevel.com/winter/en/webcams-lc72.html

EDLE, Netherlands

Peter wrote:

That webcam is either buggered or it is snowing heavily

Do check if your IR is valid for skiing, too – it seems like solid IMC!

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Peter wrote:

How does that work?

It works like this:

You send me a PM and say, “I’d like the details of the mountain flying instructor please”.

Unless you mean, “How does that work if there’s no snow?”

In which case what I meant was that in the event that there’s no snow in the resort such that you can’t go skiing you can instead call my instructor friend up and see if he’s available to take you mountain flying in his ski-equipped aircraft. (It used to be a Super Cub but he has some rotax-engined micro-light now).

Last Edited by Stickandrudderman at 26 Nov 16:55
Forever learning
EGTB
Sign in to add your message