Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fly to ski

There seems to be parking for about 10 small planes.

Re the slopes, I can see one which is OK and some which are not, for me. But this shows that perceptions differ according to one’s level of expertise, and I am sure all those who ski there are expert-level.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

nd I am sure all those who ski there are expert-level.

Absolutely not. Peter, your average skier likes easier intermediate runs, in good weather. Another couple of weeks skiing you will be a good intermediate skier. Most of it is mental.

EGTK Oxford

What I like about Courchevel is that it has some easy and wide beginners slopes. Just to compare: we were a few weeks ago in Schrüns, Austria and there the blue slopes were more like red to me and narrow in between the trees. Not so in Courchevel. They are wide, above the tree line and with a great view on the Mont Blanc / Alps.

The parking is never a problem at Courchevel, but mostly will be outside, so bring your TKS spray in case. The Altibar restaurant on the airport also has very nice apartments for rent, otherwise on the cheap side there is the Mercure hotel in town. They will come to pick you up from the airport. :-)
EDLE, Netherlands

For Annemasse immigration email [email protected] before you depart, as per AIP. I do it all the time. Sometimes they acknowledge, sometimes not, but we’ve never been met on arrival.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

How about Gap-Tallard?

Only a 45 minute drive from there to Saint Jean Montclar. I worked there for a while. Plenty of nice runs.

LFCS (Bordeaux Léognan Saucats)

I will try to do Annecy / Grand Bornand again next week, mid-week, with a friend of mine. It will be amazing if there is any snow left, but currently there is.

I don’t think you can fly to Gap-Tallard from the UK, so that’s more time to waste on an intermediate stop.

Administrator

Next week’s trip cancelled. The next plan is to look at glaciers; I believe there are some in Switzerland, and Austria.

Administrator

You may try Tignes or Val d’Isère in France.
But run on glaciers are mostly “red”

romain

LFPT Pontoise, LFPB

There’s the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun next to Zell am See. Okay, I get my coat

Most other glacier skiing areas in Austria require a flight into LOWI and a drive with a rental car from there. These are eg. Kaunertaler Gletscher, Pitztaler Gletscher, Stubaier Gletscher, Hintertuxer Gletscher and Sölden, all in Tyrol.

There are also two smaller glaciers in other provinces: Mölltaler Gletscher in Carinthia, which should be accessible from LOKL, and Dachsteingletscher quite near to LOGO. I don’t know how difficult it is to get a rental car at these airfields, however, and you are handicapped in both cases by the lack of an IFR alternate nearby.

Last Edited by blueline at 31 Mar 16:58
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Avgas at LFLP was amazingly cheap at £1.28/litre including everything (AIR BP).

Administrator
Sign in to add your message