Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying in Africa

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

What causes them to chew like that? They have to know it’s not food!

It happens everywhere. The local marten repeatedly ate rubber tubes and electrical and thermal insulation on my Ducato van – none of which are really edible – and must have done the same very actively to the neighbours’ cars, too.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

boscomantico wrote:

A similar thing happened on the PuF trip. A hyena went for the prop of a Malibu (I believe) and damaged it seriously.

How did you manage to solve this? That seems like a bad issue to have in the bush! I’m planning a trip through Africa in my DA42 and am starting to get worried with all these hyena damage photos!

It was „repaired“ in situ on the same day…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

am starting to get worried with all these hyena damage photos!

Make sure you bring food for those animals !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Mike Miller: no worries. You will not have this problem on any of the normal major airports that you will pass when flying through Africa. I am in Africa now at the moment after just completing a trip through South Africa, Namibia and Botswana of 4 weeks. There were maybe only one or 2 airfields in the bush where we needed to protect the aircraft with thorn bushes against damage done by hyenas. Greetings from South Africa. If you need any help in your preparations don’t hesitate to contact me.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 17 May 13:39
EDLE, Netherlands
15 Posts
Sign in to add your message