Welcome to our forums

Ad Hoc fly-ins

Telegram group for ad-hoc fly-ins: https://t.me/+xNhorhP63F8wMDU0

I’m up for somewhere.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

Cherbourg is quite nice – the harbour.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A little report on Shoreham-Cherbourg, on perhaps the first nice and warm day in 2018

Lots of low cloud and haze around Shoreham on departure, and fog over the sea

First time ever I got a route through these danger areas. They now appear to be permanently inactive on weekends

London Control would not accept the (IFR) flight because time in CAS would be too short, so I got London Info instead, a handover to Deauville as the approach controller, and flew the ILS28 with tailwind due to this (earlier) data:
LFRC 140830Z AUTO 12007KT 4900 BR OVC002 09/08 Q1016 TEMPO VV/// BECMG 9999 NSW

The airport has a brand new fire engine!

I didn’t do the PNR, because on my reading of the AIP it doesn’t say you need it

We did a long but very nice walk to the beach

More arrivals when we got back. There was also some activity around the hangars, with a Robin being moved around

There was a TS moving in to Cherbourg from the south

so we got out of there quick, and Shoreham was not looking too great either
EGKA 141420Z 13005KT 8000 2000S VCFG FEW020 11/08 Q1016
TAF EGKA 141357Z 1415/1419 12005KT 0300 FG BKN001 TEMPO 1415/1419 5000 BR FEW002 PROB30 TEMPO 1415/1419 9999 NSW

On the way back I got Deauville handing me over straight to London Info; London Control was not interested at all (FL060). So I didn’t bother and changed straight to Shoreham – the flight is too short.

The TAF turned out to be way pessimistic. On the way home I was doing more tests on the ADL150 and it showed the wx behind me well

Back home, a hazy sunset

Reminded me of this pic I took c. 1980

Administrator

It was really funny about my return flight plan. For some reason I thought I had filed it for 1500z (and tried to start up 20 mins before then) but I filed it for 1600z. ATC kindly amended the flight plan from 1600z to 1445z which was pretty amazing work.

ATC were among the most friendly I have seen anywhere. LFAT ATC is similar but otherwise not many get close.

Does anyone know if the fuel pump is AIR BP or some credit card and can a non French speaker operate it?

Administrator

I’m planning to visit by air “DUXFORD AIR FESTIVAL 2018” Sunday 27th May, scheduled for the day La Patrouille De France

More information in UK AIC yellow circulars:
http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-4819B57D9C3F3EF854E15E88385508C8/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIC/Y/013-2018/EG_Circ_2018_Y_013_en_2018-03-15.pdf

Last Edited by Ibra at 25 Apr 19:40
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Looking at that 15MB PDF which tells you how to, ahem, fly a plane and land it (wot you learned in the PPL) I would do what I would do for the Sywell show (which has/had a famous 27 page PDF on how to, ahem, fly a plane and land it) and seriously consider using an alternative mode of transport which uses a more robust means of traffic avoidance

Just my opinion

Administrator

Did not book a slot yet but will consider car as well, that one looks like mine actually !

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

It looks like mine too but we can’t start a VW Scirocco sub-forum because the UK already has at least five Scirocco forums

Administrator

Belle isle and quiberon are worth a thought.. hotels can get a little busy though in mid summer.. We are normally up for interesting trips any day. “retired”

Anyone up for La Rochelle, France, this weekend?

Edit: no parking there. Have to be elsewhere

Administrator
Sign in to add your message