Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip from Germany to Plymouth, where to fly?

If you buy carefully in advance it can be very cheap indeed. Our son is in Glasgow and we very often go first class for less than £40 (though that is with a Senior Railcard, it would be a bit more without.)

We wrinklies can travel off-peak for very little.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter, I reckon you remember when that was, when I came to Brighton…..

Bournemouth to Brighton and back was over 100£ that day. A car rental would have been 30 or so. But I did not anticipate that.

Yes Swiss trains are expensive, particularly if nobody tells you about the half tax card. Visitors can buy a half price card for one month (if you are sure not to return within 12 months) for 120.- . Otherwise, it may be worth getting the full year valid card for 185.- If you have it, then a day card to travel freely over the whole rail system and many bus and ships as well starts at CHF 29.- which is not that expensive at all up to CHF 75.- if you buy it on the day.

I don’t use the train a lot as i love the independence of driving. But it makes sense some times.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 13 Feb 02:01
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Peter wrote:

That said, we have just paid about the same money for the 3 or 4 trains Zurich-Wengen, so the UK is not the only place with expensive trains

Difference being – Swiss trains run on time……

A car rental would have been 30 or so

On a quick search, I see no way to rent a car for £30. Most real-life scenarios, turning up at some airport like EGKK and renting a car there, are 3x + that. The cheap rentals usually involve travelling to some backstreet outfit in the town. £30 is very possible on a Greek island though

Swiss trains run on time……

So do UK ones, about 99% of the time, but one always remembers the one which didn’t Also off-peak trains are usually OK; it is the commuters who suffer more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Gotta change your search engine

Exeter Airport Rental Car, 3 days under 70 EUR

Would do for me

Last Edited by ch.ess at 13 Feb 07:46
EDM_, Germany

I very often rent cars from airports for around 30-40 currency units per day. Next time it’s planned is from Caen next month.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Peter wrote:

Most real-life scenarios, turning up at some airport like EGKK and renting a car there, are 3x + that.

I turned up at EGBJ/Gloucestershire and rented a car for less than the taxi fare to Cheltenham station and back (the taxi firms gouge you for going 3.5 miles to the airport, doubly on a Sunday, I guess they figure everyone using EGBJ is a millionaire).

Andreas IOM

ch.ess wrote:

Gotta change your search engine

Exeter Airport Rental Car, 3 days under 70 EUR

Would do for me

That’s what I also found, the cost for a rental car is not the issue in this case.
We will plan for Exeter, we just have to sent the GAR before leaving ETSI as 4 hrs before ETA are required.

EDMA, Germany

Peter,

at the time, when I got back I passed a big gas station near the railway station at Bournemouth which advertized car rental for £27 a day… plus gas. Also sites like rentalcars com are quite nice to find a good deal. I’ve had cars rented in Spain for instance for less than 150 Euros for 10 days….

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

When I lived in Hastings, it was not uncommon to have to buy a £45 peak hour single trip journey into London. This for one of the shittiest trains that took 2hrs to get 50 miles! Just as a comparison, the same distance, 50 miles, on the Victoria to Brighton train takes 50mins – how can this take 1hr10min more?

Many times I rented a plane from my club at Lydd and flew up instead. Didn’t save any time, but almost saved money!

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 14 Feb 10:54
Sign in to add your message