Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Clearance over London

I have never done the trip across London VFR. Showing my ignorance, what is required to get the clearance? I fly a twin so no problem with the glide clear issue.

EGBW, United Kingdom

JohnR wrote:

what is required to get the clearance?

Like most clearances, basically just ask. It’s easier when LCY is closed (sat afternoon / sun mornings), but never had issues at other times (some orbits might be required). Typically, you’ll have to stay East of Vauxhall bridge (you can’t get in the heathrow zone).

Essentially, call heathrow radar 125.625, and ask for a city transit. Don’t be put off by the Whiskey number (I believe it’s just standard routes).
It’s good to have an idea of what you’re going to do, e.g. “Overfly city, follow thames to westminster bridge, right turn to leave the zone heading north east”.

Oooh Errr.

You must also comply with the conditions of EG-R157-159. If you are asked for a Whiskey number, ATC are asking for details of your specific exemption from the conditions applicable to EGR157-159 (also EGR160 if you’re a helicopter).

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

I have a Whiskey number because I was told by NATS that I would find it easier to get clearances for my regular Sunday morning trips (I am auctioned by quite a few charities) even though I don’t go in the RA.

The thing about a Whiskey number is that you sort of go to the head of the queue. You have a provisional pre-clearance, they know you’re coming.

I also suspect, but no-one talks about it, that there may be a security check done on you as well.

EGKB Biggin Hill

What happens if you are asked for a Whiskey number and you don’t have one ?

Rob wrote:

What happens if you are asked for a Whiskey number and you don’t have one ?

I think it is then a matter of “first come, first served”.

But I suspect that there may be an element of vetting behind the issue of Whiskey numbers. Without one you may well get a clearance to cross the zone, but maybe not to orbit the Houses of Parliament? I am not sure about that.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Noe wrote:

@denopa, for me best advert for twin is making it back dry after one engine started losing power over the sea at 22:30

Pardon my ignorance.
Being a VFR SEP pilot, I would have tried to divert to EHLE, Lelystad, Netherlands, which was half as far as your airport of departure. Apparently your decision-making is weighting the factors differently. I see good reasons to fly back home (known area, known maintenance facility, no hangarage hassle, no problems getting the pilot back to his bed), but maybe you or other twin pilots could elaborate on decision making in a twin?

And for the rest, a Happy New Year for all of you!

Bremen (EDWQ), Germany

Maybe a stupid question, but after Sully, shouldn’t they abandon the safe glide rule and allow the Thames as landing option?

Thanks Timothy, how do you go about getting a whiskey number?

Sign in to add your message