Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAS busts 2013

That's definitely not the case. It's a purely self inflicted problem.

That's exactly why I have said:

no joined up code/frequency allocation.

:-)

I completely agree that it could be done better. The USA doesn't need Mode S or 8.33.

They've run out of the 4-digit Mode A codes in Europe.

That's still no excuse. Most VFR traffic (90%?) won't be squawking a discrete code. In the US, I bet 90% of VFR traffic under the mode C veil of any large class B airspace area will be squawking 1200. In the UK, that would be 7000 or perhaps 1177 if speaking with London Info. Only a small fraction of the traffic will be in CAS and will require a discrete code.

Andreas IOM

If you recycle them it'll interfere other radar/ATC systems on the continent and vice versa. Similar issue with 8.33khz.

That's definitely not the case. It's a purely self inflicted problem.

It's all to do with a lack of agreements on code and frequency allocations, which are the result of each national CAA in Europe wanting to protect jobs in the relevant departments.

The 8.33 case especially has been totally discredited. There was a good study done; I will post the URL if I can find it.

The USA is far bigger than Europe and doesn't need 8.33 at all.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

What's wrong with Mode C?

If you recycle them it'll interfere other radar/ATC systems on the continent and vice versa. Similar issue with 8.33khz.

Too many countries in a small space and no joined up code/frequency allocation.

Hence Mode S displays the registration, and altitude (if ALT is selected), and some other things.

The problem is you are now stuck with it as wholesale airspace changes are next to impossible to do.

EGTK Oxford

On #3, we go back to the Mode S wars and IMHO UK GA gets what it asks for i.e. CAS designed on the basis that loads of people have been trained for map+stopwatch only, and many want to be radar-invisible for "civil liberties" reasons.

What's wrong with Mode C? That's what the TMZ is in the US (called the Mode C veil).

The NY area is pretty much as densely populated as the south of England, and SoCal certainly is as dense (if not more so) and has a LOT more GA traffic. The US seems to cope fine.

Or is the CAA tacitly admitting that American pilots are smarter and more capable than British ones? :-)

Incidentally the website is down. I get:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

Cannot open database "FlyOnTrack" requested by the login. The login failed.

D:\VIRTUALSERVERS\FLYONTRACK.CO.UK\CONTENT../includes/FOTStack.asp, line 29

Andreas IOM

It's far from the London area, but difficult enough that ESMS had quite high statistics on TMA and CTR busts (class C) a couple of years ago.

It's not shown on Skyvector but the different TMA sections have different heights where the TMA begins depending on the opening hours of the surrounding airports. The only way to know is to check NOTAMS or ask ATC.

The rumor was to blame the Germans, who supposedly wasn't used to so much controlled airspace :)

Its a very interesting discussion. Clearly the southern UK has no less room than congested areas of US airspace, of which there are quite a number.

On #3, we go back to the Mode S wars (snip, unsnip) and many want to be radar-invisible for "civil liberties" reasons.

Obviously the secret to that is not to require Mode S within TMZs or any other place. Mode C works fine and preserves privacy from government in a way that is consistent with civil rights.

On #4, it's an obvious fact that loads of the Class A is far too low for the traffic actually in there.

Class A is unnecessary, full stop, with good ATC.

But I think a big issue is ATC funding

You're clearly correct. The mishmash of funding sources has predictably created a total mishmash of airspace and ATC. 'Follow the money to the truth', as the saying goes.

Personally I would love a TMZ all down there, with concessions for non-TXP aircraft of course like the USA has (mandatory radio contact I think)

Within US Mode C veils (the extra -Z stuff for airspace is not used in the US) no clearance or radio contact required within the Mode C veil. That is the same even when 'waivered' negative transponder - no radio contact is required until you progress inward through Class E airspace towards the Class D or higher areas for small airports and the central Class B wedding cake. The Mode C veil airspace itself has no associated radio communication protocol for any aircraft.

Yesterday evening I flew negative transponder inside Class D and E, all within a Mode C veil. Just a hand held portable radio running on AA batteries, nothing else. Its legal in Classes D and lower because the aircraft has never had an engine driven electrical system. It'd been a while since I'd been out and about in that fashion, and as before when a tower controlling Class D airspace advised that my Mode C was not transmitting, I replied "negative transponder, waivered" which had the desired effect. He can usually see me on primary radar, and I say altitude when requesting new instructions or clearances. Very few people and aircraft need this service, so its not too hard to accommodate them.

How come Canadian and US airlines can function in what is efffectively an inverted wedding cake design (even New York's Class B is somewhat symmetrical) and the UK system is random polygons?

It's a question which has been asked many times, on all the usual pilot chat sites.

It's difficult to get people who really work in the system to answer in public (ATC is deep in politics especially in the UK with all the funding angles) but the answers I have seen were along the lines of

• Those shapes are needed to accommodate the published SIDs, STARs, missed approaches
  • The UK has less room than the USA
  • The USA has TMZs, which enable tighter CAS but which UK GA has fiercely resisted; if US-style TMZs were put in around Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton, Stansted then much of the south east would be a TMZ
  • It was designed a long time ago when aircraft climb performance was not like today

The first two don't sound legit to me (what does the USA do that's different).

The last two are probably real.

On #3, we go back to the Mode S wars and IMHO UK GA gets what it asks for i.e. CAS designed on the basis that loads of people have been trained for map+stopwatch only, and many want to be radar-invisible for "civil liberties" reasons.

On #4, it's an obvious fact that loads of the Class A is far too low for the traffic actually in there. I am thinking especially of the 5500ft-base into the Channel (south of EGKA, etc) where there is never any traffic apart from the odd piston thing (like me). I can see anything big on TCAS, and it's not there... That CAS could be Class D and accessible for VFR, or to IMC Rated pilots, to a much higher level. Also those who have the "virtual radar" boxes report seeing nothing over DVR below about FL200, yet the CAS base there is FL065. One could make it all G but then you lose the Eurocontrol IFR route continuity...

But I think a big issue is ATC funding; if you have CAS which might actually have some significant GA traffic in it, who is going to pay for the ATC manpower? With Class A, and with UK's IR holders as rare as rocking horse ****, almost nobody flies there, which is fine because London Control (NATS) doesn't have to spend money on it. If you made it Class D or (day I mention it) E then the much more numerous IMCR holders could fly in it, and VFR transits would be possible. If you made it Class G then no need to provide any ATC service at all, which is great, but it would not be possible to enter UK airspace below say FL100-150 while remaining in CAS, which a lot of people would not like. European IFR is already de facto unworkable without oxygen and this would finish it off.

Personally I would love a TMZ all down there, with concessions for non-TXP aircraft of course like the USA has (mandatory radio contact I think). I think we all share the airspace and we owe it to each other to be conspicuous, and it is sensible to be visible to TCAS on the big stuff in case one screws up.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I agree. Look at the two links I provided. The UK is like someone decided you need 400 triangles and had a 12 year old divide it up. I don't understand why it couldn't work in the UK as it does in the US. And cap the class B/C at a sensible altitude.

EGTK Oxford
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message