Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK Listening squawks

Timothy wrote:

Why use the airtime? I’d rather chat to my pax or whatever.

Maybe I have my view because in my part of the world, if I am talking to the local FIS ATCO and being told about traffic, that is the same ATCO who is controlling the CAT in the above busy TMA: And they know if Im heading from x to y at zzzzft, and that direct route cuts the corner of the TMA, they will usually clear me through before I need to ask. If Im doing exercises below the TMA then they dont get alarmed if I get close. If they have CAT not far above in the TMA they tell me about it, sometimes they request at that point if I will remain below a certain altitude and Im happy to help, often they clear me at the base of the TMA or 500 or 1000 ft up into it – often offered before asking.

The main thing though is I cant ever remember hearing on first contact “REMAIN CLEAR OF CONTROLLED AIRSPACE” and I certainly wont get busted if Im talking to them and inadvertently go into the TMA for a few seconds etc.

Timothy wrote:

Chacun à son goût,

Agreed & Regards, SD..

skydriller wrote:

I cant ever remember hearing on first contact “REMAIN CLEAR OF CONTROLLED AIRSPACE”

That’s good, because they should say “Remain outside controlled airspace.” In SE England you hear that expression more than any other.

EGKB Biggin Hill

Other than “pass your message” of course!

Noe wrote:

Other than “pass your message” of course!

Indeed. What’s wrong with “go ahead”. And why do you have to say “request”? If you call them with just their callsign and yours, it’s obvious that you want something.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

“Request” is a very good convention. It means “I have something that’s not pressing, get back to me when you have a moment.”

It’s used all over Europe,

EGKB Biggin Hill

Airborne_Again wrote:

What’s wrong with “go ahead”

Timothy wrote:

“Remain outside controlled airspace.”

The UK CAA thinks that the former may be confused with a clearance and for the latter that some pilots believe that 2-way communication equates to a clearance.
It might be pure ass-covering or a knee-jerk reaction to a few occurences or a result of the poor PPL training or the failure of pilots to stay competent and learn.
Or a subtle mix of all the above.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Go Ahead has been used by London Control and I think still is.

Pass your message

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

“Go ahead” was dropped from UK phraseology and ICAO Annex 10 at least a decade ago.

London, United Kingdom

London Control definitely use it routinely

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Qalupalik wrote:

“Go ahead” was dropped from UK phraseology

Yes, probably not to be confused with a clearance:
- Luton Radar, G-ABCD, request VFR zone transit
- G-ABCD, Luton Radar, go ahead

On phraseology, lot of Star Wars phraseology is used between City/Biggin on weekends
I even got “free rein” and “look for Skywalker”, take some time to process

The lack of “pass you message” from French ATC to UK pilots does causes few seconds of RT silence, something really appreciated when over the channel

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 Nov 23:42
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message