Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR Charts - electronic

I agree with you Achim about the strict legal position but let’s say you find yourself at some got forsaked hellhole of an airport, and the policeman tells you that you are not departing. And for good measure he stick a fine on you for €1000.

I guess a well connected person could phone a high level political contact and get it sorted, but nothing less is going to work. Same with the old VAT documents debate…

Most people don’t want the hassle…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Sure, but is

and the policeman tells you that you are not departing. And for good measure he stick a fine on you for €1000.

really going to happen? We have no evidence for that.

Let’s avoid spreading FUD (well, happens anyway). Reminds me of the Frech LP thing.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 26 Jun 11:55
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Peter wrote:

Most people don’t want the hassle…

My position exactly – added to which I find I cannot get a good overall view of the lie of the land when planning a flight. Paper works for me in that situation. Maybe I need a 46" tablet to go with my old eyes

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

really going to happen? We have no evidence for that.
Let’s avoid spreading FUD (well, happens anyway). Reminds me of the French LP thing.

The “problem” I have is that, having been running peter2000.co.uk (100GB of traffic every month) for 12 years and having been a mod/admin here for 2.5 years, and having had a mountain or email correspondence as a result, I get to hear a lot of stuff which cannot be posted openly.

Quite often I feel it should be posted openly for the benefit of the community (and if it happened to me I certainly would write about it, because I am not trying to sell my damned plane etc etc etc and whatever other good and bad reasons people have for keeping their misadventures private) but I can’t do it if the person who told me doesn’t want to go public with it. I get a bit p1ssed off about it sometimes especially if somebody has evidence that some OWT is in fact false but they simply can’t be bothered…

So, back to the topic, these things (arbitrary enforcements of such and such at airports) do happen and I have it pretty well first hand, but at the risk of looking silly I am not going to give details. On top of that the real story is probably different anyway i.e. the person who told me only told me half the truth.

What is certain is that it happens very rarely, so it is an individual decision on how much effort should go into guarding one’s 6 o’clock.

What is also very very likely is that the people who are at most risk are those who regularly fly to the same place. If you visit the place once a year, you tend to be below the radar.

Administrator

Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never had to pay a fine that wasn’t due because I messed up.

And most of the times I mess up I just get a “don’t do it again” – can’t ask fairer than that.

If you break the rules, you pay the fine if asked. Don’t complain about it!

Safe flights, Sam.

PS attitude counts for a lot – an aggressive reply is much more likely to result in a fine where a meek ‘sorry’ gets you off the hook…

@Peter wrote:

Also if you have any examples of the VFR charts you mentioned (Denmark, Finland, Lithuania, Estonia) it would be interesting to see them. Could you post some smartphone pics of little bits of them?

Danish VFR charts (1:500K whole country and 1:250K Copenhagen area) are available for free download as part of AIP. By the way, opening the 500K chart in a PDF editor and carefully removing the layers corresponding to the legend (the NE corner) reveals the SW area of Sweden with some aerodromes, airspace and obstacles marked. This area is not guaranteed to be current or complete, but is certainly better than nothing for emergency purposes. I removed these layers, exported the chart to an image and georeferenced it for OZIexplorer – if anyone is interested, drop me a line.

Latvian VFR chart (1:500K) is available for download here.

Lithuania sells a downloadable image for €7.90 here.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Right now the best choice is
I PAD +. jeppesen vfr flight deck deck
You get all European countries. Constantly updated
Quality is superd and you get very detailed maps of taxiways and parking stands , you just need to zoom in very close
Additinally you may overlpa weather and wind in real time just before departure.
(Map and navigation works by GPS. Wx download need wifi son best choice is to upload it before departing )
Ooava

Ciao Fiore, e benvenuto!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Ooava wrote:

You get all European countries

Only Western and Central Europe but not Eastern: http://ww1.jeppesen.com/main/corporate/aviation/products/mobile-flitedeck-vfr/coverage.jsp

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Interesting to see how this has progressed, a year since we last discussed it…

You can see why people buy PFMS and SD, however:

€349/year.

Their maps look good though.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message